Cherry Wood Loudspeaker?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm looking into making 2-way speakers using Focal drivers, (TC120TD5 and 6W4311B) using this design http://zalytron.com/Orca 6in System/TC120TD5+ one6W4311B Bookshelf.pdf and it says to use MDF, but I was wondering if I could use Cherry Wood instead? I'd assume I could, however I have not been able to find many speakers made of Cherry Wood.

I want to use Cherry because I like the look, but not at the cost of sound. So any suggestions or eperience?

Cherry Wood should be just fine.

If you use 3/4 thick Cherry Wood the cabinet is small enough that the walls won't flex much.

For thinner Cherry Wood, say 1/4", laminate it to 1/2" MDF. Laminates are usually deader than a cabinet made wholly from one material.

If the Cherry Wood is thicker than 1/4", but not 3/4" laminate it to 1/2" MDF and increase the outer dimensions to keep the same internal volume. I would increase the sides, top and bottom, but keep the front the same because that may effect either diffraction or the baffle step.

You could laminate a second layer of Cherry Wood, in this case align the grain at 90 degrees for the two layers.

Most of this advice is probably overkill, but it can't hurt.

Dennis5587 said:
Extra information never hurts, I plan on using 3/4" Cherry, even if I need to get 1" and plane it down evenly to 3/4".

Something like this might look nicer.

Occam3.JPG

You can do all sorts of wonderful things with MDF and nice cherry veneer, as shown above. ;)

You also might find it VERY hard to find a piece of solid cherry 11 inches wide for the front.. let alone a 14" wide peice for the sides. You would have to glue up for width, then plane down, cut to size, etc..

I would make the box out of PLY, then veneer it.. or Cherry Veneered MDF. And then do some sort of decorative work on the front with some solid cherry.

Thats just my $ .02

jeremy

If you want to save on labor and materials, you could purchase MDF with cherry veneer already glued on to it. You would have to get a 4x8 sheet but if you consider the absence of all machining of the solid lumber, it’s a clear winner. MDF is a better core to for a speaker cabinet anyway. The other potential problem that you will eliminate is a possibility of your speaker drying out and cracking or warping in a years to come.
Most of the hi end speakers out there are veneered MDF. Cheap staff is vinyl over particleboard.

hermanv said:

1" Cherry Wood? You obviously have too much money, email me for my address, I have considerable experience in solving that problem. :) :)

Not that I have a tremendous amount of money lying around... it's just that I figured if I was going to spend so much time, effort, and money on the speakers... why not make them out of a nice hardwood.

MJL21193 said:

Extra info here.

Solid wood isn't the best choice for speakers for a number of reasons, all of which are covered in the above linked thread.

Thanks I'll have to give that a good read.

JeremyB said:
You also might find it VERY hard to find a piece of solid cherry 11 inches wide for the front.. let alone a 14" wide peice for the sides. You would have to glue up for width, then plane down, cut to size, etc..

I would make the box out of PLY, then veneer it.. or Cherry Veneered MDF. And then do some sort of decorative work on the front with some solid cherry.

Thats just my $ .02

jeremy

I thought I would be very hard to find as well, but I've been finding some lumber yards online that are not too far from me that sell Cherry wood extra wide at thickness's of 3/4,4/4,5/4,and 8/4. The wood goes up to about 17 or 18" wide, however this is basically to the bark, you have to cut in to a usable width, so 14" seemed possible (not easiest, but possible). This is exactly why I figured I'd go on here and check how it would even sound before going through the tremendous amount of extra hassle.

R-Carpenter said:
If you want to save on labor and materials, you could purchase MDF with cherry veneer already glued on to it. You would have to get a 4x8 sheet but if you consider the absence of all machining of the solid lumber, it’s a clear winner. MDF is a better core to for a speaker cabinet anyway. The other potential problem that you will eliminate is a possibility of your speaker drying out and cracking or warping in a years to come.
Most of the hi end speakers out there are veneered MDF. Cheap staff is vinyl over particleboard.

True "high end" does use MDF with veneer, however this could be simply because it is easier and cheaper, I was thinking that it could be another one of the "well, everyone else is using it, so why bother going the more expensive root" type of mentality's.

Thank you for all the advice, and quick replies. I'm going to go read up on the site that MJL21193 suggested, and probably just stick with MDF.

Dennis, why go that route, looking all over for cherry veneer? You can do the thing over the internet on E-Bay. There are some very reputable vendors there, and you cannot go wrong with them.

Just go to E-Bay, and in the search window, type in Veneer. Naturally you will get all sorts of other products, but there is a wealth of veneers for you to choose. Lepkowski/Veneer 1 has many batches of cherry, and other veneers, for sale. He is a little more expensive than some others, but he has a great reputation and what you see is what you get.

If you need other references, feel free to ask me, and I will give you some more who I KNOW to be very reputable and you can count on them not to give you a bad deal.

Finding veneer wasn't the hard part, finding 1" thick cherry wood that is at least 14" wide was. Plus I was aiming for something close to home so I didn't get raped on shipping, that and I'd like to see the wood I would be buying.

However, if I go the veneer route (leaning towards now) I will definitely try that link ;)

Well, if he’s looking to do veneering himself, Veneer Emporium in Long island city and Veneer Products on Zerega ave in the Bronx sell raw veneer. You could set an appointment and actually select the veneer you want from the flitch. Minimum would probably be a bundle (25 leaves). Ebay is a very good source and I shop there myself from time to time. I also have a leftover roll of highly figured cherry in the shop that I would sell.

Dennis5587 said:
Finding veneer wasn't the hard part, finding 1" thick cherry wood that is at least 14" wide was. Plus I was aiming for something close to home ]b]so I didn't get raped on shipping[/b], that and I'd like to see the wood I would be buying.

However, if I go the veneer route (leaning towards now) I will definitely try that link ;)

First, if you look around you can find veneer at a great price and the shipping is reasonable. Usually the savings in the veneer makes up for the S/H.

Second, almost All of the items on sale from the reputable vendors on E-Bay take pictures of each and every item they sell. If they use the same picture, it is because the veneers come from the same batch. You should always buy more than you need anyway, because you will most likely be matching patterns and wanting the veneer to look it's best. This means you will be selecting some and omiting others.

I will admit that I am a veneer horder. I LOVE raw veneer and have a nice collection of veneers, but don't use them all. You should see my collection. If I see some that are unique, and the price is great, I will almost always go after it.

Remember, veneering is a craft that you learn as you go. And it is fun to work with too. I am not trying to blow my horn, but if you go to my current project,Hexagon Pioneer B20FU20 Enclosure, I attempt to show how I am building my Twin Towers, and I include a lot of pictures. It's turned into a very successful thread. There are a great deal of veneer tricks there to learn, if you will take the time and read the project steps. I'm not through yet, but I am getting close. In the project I have tried to include just as much veneer techniques as the actual speaker work. It's not only a learning experience for me, but for those who follow the journey.

Here is another fellow who offers Great Veneers. His name is Ron Fritz, and he even gives out his telephone number, should you have any questions or requests. He is above reproach too, and does this because he is disabled. I personally like him a great deal, and you will always get a great veneer at a very good price. If you buy from him once, you will keep coming back for more.

I'd give you more references, but I am bidding on a couple of wonderful auctions right now, and am not going to give others a chance to outbid me. I did that with another set of reconstituted teak items right here on this forum, and others beat me out as a result. Clearly a case of the good Samaritan getting run over. ;) :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.