Have a plunge router...now what do I need? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2008, 07:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: brandon
Default Have a plunge router...now what do I need?

I bought a Dayton pre made cabinet for my center channel. All I need to do is drill the circles for the mids and tweeter. I have read a lot about how a plunge router is the best way of going upon this, so I bought one this weekend for $40. I'm only going to use it for this center channel, and sometime down the road for my two rears. I didnt' need to spend between $100-200.

anyways, now that I have the router, what do I need now? Do i absolutely need a Jasper circle jig? What kind of bit do I use?

any help would be very appreciated. thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 07:20 PM   #2
Glowbug is offline Glowbug  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Glowbug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hillsborough, NC/McLean, VA
Jasper jigs make the whole ordeal a lot easier, they're already set up in 1/16" increments, all you need to do is bolt it onto the base and go for it.

You want a straight cutting bit, and if you want to flush the drivers to the baffle, a rabbiting bit.
__________________
Jim J.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 07:50 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: brandon
I can't find a Jasper jig locally...or any kind of circle jig for that matter. If i get one shipped it costs me a lot being in Canada. Do I have any other options?
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 07:56 PM   #4
Theli is offline Theli  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Saskatoon
I'm assuming you're in Brandon, Manitoba?

try here, located in Winnipeg:

http://www.mach5audio.com/index-4.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 08:04 PM   #5
Account disabled at member's request
 
MJL21193's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally posted by PoorSound
Do I have any other options?

Not much of a problem to make a circle guide. This being a DIY site, it's kinda appropriate.

I use the router (with a straight cutting bit) to cut the driver recess. I cut the hole for the driver with a jigsaw. Faster, cheaper (no burned out router bits) and a lot less dust.
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 08:11 PM   #6
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: brandon
just placed my order! thanks!
  Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2008, 10:22 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Menlo Park, CA
Default Re: Have a plunge router...now what do I need?

Quote:
Originally posted by PoorSound
anyways, now that I have the router, what do I need now? Do i absolutely need a Jasper circle jig?
It takes about fifteen minutes to make a circle jig out of a 1/4" plywood scrap and under 60 seconds to add a new radius. Draw a few radiuses from the center of your router before you drill out the center hole and pick a different one when your pivot holes would over-lap.

You can have any size you want (I built a 12' jig) with increments finer than the jasper jig's

Quote:
What kind of bit do I use?
Spiral up-cut if you're going to veneer later for better chip extraction. Spiral down-cut when you need to prevent tear-out (make multiple shallow passes). Straight bits for cutting rabbets.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 02:36 AM   #8
Daveis is offline Daveis  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Des Moines, IA
Jasper makes good jigs as long as the base plate fits your plunge router.

The 1/16th inch resolution is generally good enough, but I've found a few drivers and cases where it wasn't.

The hole created by a router can be much prettier than a jig saw cut. But then who cares, you aren't going to see the fine imperfections and you can always sand them smooth.

I still like to go almost all the way through with the router for the final pass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 03:04 AM   #9
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member
 
John L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Cary NC
Default Re: Have a plunge router...now what do I need?

Quote:
Originally posted by PoorSound
I bought a Dayton pre made cabinet for my center channel. All I need to do is drill the circles for the mids and tweeter. I have read a lot about how a plunge router is the best way of going upon this, so I bought one this weekend for $40. I'm only going to use it for this center channel, and sometime down the road for my two rears. I didnt' need to spend between $100-200.

anyways, now that I have the router, what do I need now? Do i absolutely need a Jasper circle jig? What kind of bit do I use?

any help would be very appreciated. thanks!
Where in G-d's name did you get one for just $40?
  Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2008, 03:08 AM   #10
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member
 
John L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Cary NC
Quote:
Originally posted by Daveis
Jasper makes good jigs as long as the base plate fits your plunge router.

The 1/16th inch resolution is generally good enough, but I've found a few drivers and cases where it wasn't.

The hole created by a router can be much prettier than a jig saw cut. But then who cares, you aren't going to see the fine imperfections and you can always sand them smooth.

I still like to go almost all the way through with the router for the final pass.
My problem with the Jasper jig is that it requires you to use a 1/4" cutting bit(not the shank), to make all those cuts work properly. And since I always use a 3/4" bit I ocassionally forget and then make a total mess. you would think I would learn my lesson but I don't. Must be getting old.

I have no idea as to why they think we will use such a small bit. It's just not logical IMO.


  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Take the plunge WORS Multi-Way 0 29th December 2007 01:28 AM
When buying a plunge router... Cal Weldon Equipment & Tools 21 23rd February 2007 11:44 AM
Hitachi M12V 3.25HP 1/2" plunge router variable speed $160, free shipping 454Casull Equipment & Tools 0 9th July 2006 05:42 AM
FS: Plunge router and Jasper circle jig bsteeves Swap Meet 7 18th June 2003 05:29 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 02:43 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2