3-way with tilted front baffle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I looked at your files in SE. Actually your phase match in the system screen is pretty good. Reverse your tweeter and look at the reverse null. The null is 25 db deep and two octaves wide. This means you have good phase tracking in the crossover region.

Same with your woofer null. It isn't as deep as the tweeter but it is wider and that is good. Your woofer levels appear to be a bit high compared to the mid and tweeter but I would wait to see how the floor bounce impacts the sound before doing anything about that.

Reverse nulls aside, when I look at the phase plots in the system screen and including all acoustic delays the phase match is very good for both the woofer/mid and the mid/tweeter.

I would probably work on smoothing out the mid/tweeter XO region a bit in the system screen, but since you aren't padding your mid at all there isn't a lot to work with around levels. But this is very respectable. I would be pretty happy with this, especially with 2nd order slopes. I don't see the phase problems you are...

Regards,

Dennis

djarchow said:
I looked at your files in SE. Actually your phase match in the system screen is pretty good. Reverse your tweeter and look at the reverse null. The null is 25 db deep and two octaves wide. This means you have good phase tracking in the crossover region.

Great. This was actually the hole point of this thread, as I wasn't sure at all how good the phase tracing was, as I don't have that much experience.

Same with your woofer null. It isn't as deep as the tweeter but it is wider and that is good. Your woofer levels appear to be a bit high compared to the mid and tweeter but I would wait to see how the floor bounce impacts the sound before doing anything about that.

That seems to be the case. By putting the woofer ~4cm closer in Z direction, the null gets deeper, but I'm not sure how could I make this happen. I probably try to simulate how asymmetric xo would change the situation.
And yes, the woofer level is probably too high. I'm thinking of chancing the midrange driver to another with higher sensitivity, but I haven't yet found a suitable driver for the job. Any suggestions for a driver that could be used past 3,5Khz?

And thanks a lot for using your time to help me with this project!

I wouldn't worry about the reverse null on the woofer/mid too much. You can probably manually tweak the values of the woofer or mid XO to get it a bit smoother in that region. Having good phase tracking is always a good idea but flat frequency response should take precidence. SInce you are going with a sloped baffle, you really shouldn't really need an asymmetric xo.

As for the woofer level being 2db high, I would listen to it and see how it actually sounds before replacing the mid. You could move up to the MCA15 as its sensitivity is about 3db higher than the mca12. You should be able to cross that over 2nd order pretty high with no problems. I am currently using it in a center channel design with 2nd order slopes at 2500 hz but would guess you could get a 3500 Hz XO point and match your targets out to 10 Khz.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dennis

Twisted85 said:

Great. This was actually the hole point of this thread, as I wasn't sure at all how good the phase tracing was, as I don't have that much experience.

That seems to be the case. By putting the woofer ~4cm closer in Z direction, the null gets deeper, but I'm not sure how could I make this happen. I probably try to simulate how asymmetric xo would change the situation.
And yes, the woofer level is probably too high. I'm thinking of chancing the midrange driver to another with higher sensitivity, but I haven't yet found a suitable driver for the job. Any suggestions for a driver that could be used past 3,5Khz?

And thanks a lot for using your time to help me with this project!

djarchow said:
]I wouldn't worry about the reverse null on the woofer/mid too much. You can probably manually tweak the values of the woofer or mid XO to get it a bit smoother in that region. Having good phase tracking is always a good idea but flat frequency response should take precidence. SInce you are going with a sloped baffle, you really shouldn't really need an asymmetric xo.

I tried to make the the XO asymmetric, but the results weren't very satisfying, so yes, your right.

As for the woofer level being 2db high, I would listen to it and see how it actually sounds before replacing the mid. You could move up to the MCA15 as its sensitivity is about 3db higher than the mca12. You should be able to cross that over 2nd order pretty high with no problems. I am currently using it in a center channel design with 2nd order slopes at 2500 hz but would guess you could get a 3500 Hz XO point and match your targets out to 10 Khz.

I was thinking the MCA15 before buying the 12 model, but I just don't think that it would be the best choice for this project. The frequency response ain't particularly smooth (pretty close to mca12 actually) and I think that the off-axis performance should be better at 3-4Khz. I don't actually like the mca12 that much either.

However, Tangbang has lots of interesting models. I went through their drivers and found at least six possible drivers, but I had to ditch half of those because of the color of the driver cone. It has to be black for this project.

But here are three drivers I am interested:

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w3-316b.htm

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w4-1129e.htm

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w4-655sh.htm

Just by looking at the data Tangbang offers, it's hard to choose one over another. With off-axis responses and distortion graphs it would be easier.
Tangbang drivers are also very cheap compared to seas or peerless, but does this correlate with the quality of the drivers?

Does anyone have any experience of these drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.