Troels VS. Zaph - 2 Way Bookshelf Showdown

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
harrisni said:

Give Russell a ring about them if you have any queries. I had a good chat to him about the 360 as I am thinking about building a pair with my brother-in-law. The speakers are on display at WES in Ashfield but be prepared to spend some time there if you want to have a proper listen.
If you have an ABN number, it's easy to get an account with WES and receive trade prices.

Cheers

Geoff

Keep in mind that the Ellam was not designed as a no holds barred effort, he has higher end designs for that, and as such, designed this crossover to be, what he considers, sensible for its price point. I do consider the ZD5 to be technically the better designed crossover, but I think in practice the difference in sound would be somewhat slight. Keep in mind that Zaph's design puts some very large value caps into his crossover, which will either have to be electrolytic, or will cost you a fortune, and be quite large. I agree with Zaph that C10 can be an electrolytic, but I would prefer to see a higher voltage cap for C20 than the typical 100 volts of most readily available electrolytics. Also, I know they don't seem to consider the caps in an LCR to be in series, but I don't see how they aren't. If that isn't true, I'm sorry, I was told that in a class, that the ESR of the cap in an LCR isn't important because its not really seen as in series in the circuit.

Anyway, I'm not that skilled of a crossover builder myself, so I can't comment much beyond what I have. Most of my knowledge and experience comes with building with these same drivers before. I built a set of studio monitors using the same midbass and a metal dome SS 9800 tweeter using a crossover somewhat similar in topology to Troels, and it remains one of the best measuring and sounding speakers I have made. Since efficiency was less important than than flatness, and since my brother insisted on flat rather than pleasing, I built them to be within +/- 1 decible of around 85 decibles from 250hz to around 10khz or so, and only slightly worse beyond that. These drivers have very surprising bass for their size, I joked about building a subwoofer for my own system with them, just because I find the bass so addictive. I would say, I'm not a huge fan of the Vifa XT tweeter, I might be spoiled having heard the scan-speak version, but I think there are better tweeters than the Vifa, for admittedly more money, that are worthy options.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.