removing flanges from tweeters and dome mids

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
is it safe to unbolt the flanges to rework the shape, or does the flange also hold something together that should not be messed with?

reason is, i'm working on a speaker which uses a midwoofer, dome mid and tweeter, i would like to get them closer together. so take off the flanges and machine them to size, (or even create new ones) that way swarf from machining will not get in the speaker.

Some tweeters have a "replaceable diaphragm", in which case, the cone/dome/voice coil/surround assembly could come off, or, possibly become mis-alligned if you remove the face plate.

But, generally, I would say that only in the case where the face plate is glued on, would it be troublesome.

The tweeters that I have the most of are Audax TM020J3 3/4" textile dome neo magnet tweeters which have the face plate held on by either glue or having had the plastic fuzed in some areas by melting, when I take the face plate off there's no disturbance to the diaphragm, and it would be easy to re-attach the face plate properly.

Taking the face plate off to machine it could be a good idea, and, of course placing mid + high freq. drivers closer is a good idea - unless the distance (farther away) is needed for time alignment, perhaps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.