High efficiency hi-fi speakers, DIY suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After taking a closer look on Klipsch, I'd really like to build my own speakers with efficiency over 95db/1w, but can't find any kits or suggestions... Klipsch is really overpriced here in Norway, RF82 cost 1850 US dollars.. My goal is a speaker not (much) bigger than the rf82, but as loud and with the same hifi-quality. I'm a bit suprised that the web isn't flooded with DIY-kits like that, am I the only one that wants to play loud, without monster amps or monster speakers, or is Klipsch making "unbeatable" speakers? Like the aspect of DIY, and would like to save some money too.

Sorry if the title is misleading or anything, I'm not used to writing in english.

High efficiency is not always the key to good sound even with a low wattage amp, unless your amp has really low power, say, less than a few watts.

Klipsch uses some trick to increase their speakers' efficiency. They use a smalll amount of BSC and compensate it with bumped bass reflex tuning (i.e., emphasis on midbass). So, this results in a wide dip in the midrange.

What kind of amp do you use?

Jay_WJ said:
High efficiency is not always the key to good sound even with a low wattage amp, unless your amp has really low power, say, less than a few watts.

many people are moving in that direction,ie high efficient speakers, even Nelson Pass who build high powed amp., he believes the 1st watt is the most important.

I build amps before and it is much easier to build low powered high quality amp than corresponding high
powered amp.

commercial high quality and high power amp are very expensive. they are many high quality low power amp to choose from at reasonably low price including tube amp. A 85dB speaker needs at least 100watt amp to sound good. I have a 95dB speaker driven by a cheap 15watt commercial solid state, it sounds very good.

Jay try listening or build one yourself a pair of high efficient speakers you would be pleasantly surprised, eg improve sound stage, dynamics, etc.

Pirium said:
After taking a closer look on Klipsch, I'd really like to build my own speakers with efficiency over 95db/1w, but can't find any kits or suggestions... Klipsch is really overpriced here in Norway, RF82 cost 1850 US dollars.. My goal is a speaker not (much) bigger than the rf82, but as loud and with the same hifi-quality. I'm a bit suprised that the web isn't flooded with DIY-kits like that, am I the only one that wants to play loud, without monster amps or monster speakers, or is Klipsch making "unbeatable" speakers? Like the aspect of DIY, and would like to save some money too.

Sorry if the title is misleading or anything, I'm not used to writing in english.

try these websites, I heard from users the speakers sound quite good.

1. http://www.pispeakers.com/

2. http://www.omegaloudspeakers.com/

there are many more.

Try these forums under high efficiency speakers you may learn a few more ideas.

1. http://www.audioasylum.com/index.html
2.http://audioroundtable.com/

cheers

Jay_WJ said:

Klipsch uses some trick to increase their speakers' efficiency. They use a smalll amount of BSC and compensate it with bumped bass reflex tuning (i.e., emphasis on midbass). So, this results in a wide dip in the midrange.

What kind of amp do you use?

Jay, in case he is not a veteran here, it may be best to explain the "BCS" acronym. You assume that everyone knows what you are talking about, but that may not be so.

I just accidentially did that yesterday, when I referred to Nelson Pass as just "Nelson" and I was asked to explain. ;)

ttan98 said:
Jay try listening or build one yourself a pair of high efficient speakers you would be pleasantly surprised, eg improve sound stage, dynamics, etc.

Yes, subjective experience tells much. But it is easily biased as well since it is ALways limited. That's why we need to be more scientific.

As for this issue, I see two different kinds of opinions from veteran DIYers. One is like yours and the other is not. I don't listen very loud. To me, low distortions (both linear and nonlinear) are more important design choices than high efficiency.

Jay_WJ said:

It's BSC: baffle step compensation as stated above.

BTW, you didn't answer my question. What kind of amp are you using?

Going to use a onkyo 875, separate subs,dont need much output belov 35hz. I'd like a hi sensitivity speaker for several reasons, It gives alot of dynamic range, it lets me play loud without separate amps which is expensive when both powerful AND good sounding, and i just happen to like the sound from hi sensitivity, dynamic speakers like klipsch, jbl array and so on.. Last but not least I like to have something not everyone else got. I got the space to go with larger cabinets, if thats neccesary.

sdclc126 said:
High efficiency = high distortion.

I'm afraid I don't agree. Either high or low efficiency speakers can be low distortion, if they're well designed and used within their design limits. What High Efficiency speakers "can do" is allow you to use low power, but otherwise excellent, amplifiers such as SET tube amps. The possibility of excellent dynamics and sense of scale is more easily attained and as the Hi-Eff speaker doesn't need to be pushed nearly as hard all kinds of power related problems are avoided. It's a well known fact that the level of distortion of well designed horns can be significantly less than just about any other type of transducer.

I may be misunderstanding what you mean, so if I've missed the mark, please explain. BTW: being Scandinavian, I'd appreciate it if you'd use simple words ;)

Best Regards,
TerryO

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.