Standing waves, anyone willing to experiment ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was looking over a couple of patents, when I found this one:

A bass reflex speaker system with a ducted port which can be made without coloration in the mid frequency band of the speaker caused by standing wave resonances in the duct. The system includes one or more openings in the wall of the duct between the ends of the duct, and covering the openings with a deflectable membrane, such as a film of latex-like material, or a rigid membrane with a flexible surround.

I'ts here.

Is there anyone willing to experiment this thing and give us the results ?

Judging by the number of commercial speakers of all price ranges tested w/o comment of any port resonance problems, it's not a problem.

I know this because thinking about it, I thought there was no way it couldn't be a problem, but then I scoured Stereophile speaker reviews and never found a mention of it.

It once occurred to me to use glasspack muffler type tubes as ports to reduce resonance problems. This was ~10 years ago, but I never did it.

The audibility of port resonances is very subtle. Sometimes longer ports can have real problems, though. The Infinity Overtures had a long port with a bottom exit, and when D.B Keele measured them in audio he found a ~300Hz blip and discovered the port was causing it. He ran sine burst through the system, IIRC, and could really hear the overhang around the resonant frequency with test signals. IIRC, He couldn't hear it with music.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.