Opened Baffle design HELP!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am thinking of trying out an OB setup but aren't every clear of how it all works. Basically all I know is that depends of the baffle shape ( I, H, M or U) it effects the response. How do I calculate the sizes of each baffle. I also see some OB designs where is just basically a baffle holding the speaker (I shape), but wouldn't that create phasing problem and cancelations? I'm currently runing a 2-way DIY set using the 7" scanspeak REV and LCY110 ribbon. I eventually want to add a subwoofer to that but want to try OB everything. Also what size, sub and how many do you guys recommend? It'll probably be crossed around around 150-200 and down. I've audition some dipole setup at CES and really like how responsive and natural it sounded. One more thing, what about if I just go dipole with the 2-way and maybe sealed with the sub? The only concern I have with that is the effeciency between the two. Any information will be greatly appreciated. I am still a noob so fill me up with everything you got! thanks! :D

If you really want to design your own 3-way-OB setup, you need to understand the basics of the website of Linkwitz (the link is a good start).
If you don´t want to dig into any theory you better look for some proven designs with the corresponding drivers.
May be you should also hace a look at the Open baffle forum at audiocircle. The guys over there somewhat spezialize in OB designs.;)

Basically you have to choose between two main roads:
1) physical optimization
2) electronic compensation.

In real life it's often a compromise.

I'm playing around with digital filtering and compensation (e.g. DRC) and a lot can be achieve this way. But physics can't be beaten. So, the process is: build the speakers as large as you can/want (the wife, cat, bank and neighbor has a say) and then compensate electronically.

I believe Linkwitz Orion is a very good balance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.