Medowlark Swift clones?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, Ive searched everywhere high and low, so I will ask here. I've been looking at the Swifty kit from Madisound, but I really want a floorstander. Has anyone yet been able to figure out the dimentions of the Swifts cabinet? TL's are something I really dont quite understand yet, so im hoping even though I cant find anything here about it, that someone has figured out what the cabinet specs are.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/104meadowlark/

Hi,

Indicates there is nothing too flash about the interior design, it
has some resonance problems and the c/o design is also poor.

Bass driver specs are here :

http://www.tymphany.com/files/products/pdf/BC14SG49-08.pdf

Some quick number chrunching indicates around 15L internal
volume for the meadowlark cabinets though I'm not sure
the angle / hieght would suit the madisound crossover.

Reducing the 3" to 10" ratio might be an idea, to either a constant
6.5" or say 4.5 to 8.5 or 5 to 8. A quick sim indicates a vented port
at 40Hz is very workable. Larger box volumes are pointless as the
driver Vas is 10L and you do not really want go too far over this.

Moving the port from the base is a good idea unless to want to
get into MLEQWL (mass loaded expanding quarter wave loading),
see http://quarter-wave.com/ .
Line the box with foam and stuff the area behind the
drivers leaving the port in the middle of the open area.

I cannot see a small TL being any better at all.

:)/sreten.

Attachments

• guff.jpg
    guff.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 672
Well My main reason for going with the original design is more for the looks, as I really do like the design. If ported enclosure or roughly the same size and shape would work better with the Madisound X-ver, I would have NO issues with going with that design. Im building a small home theater in my basement, and due to the size it will be I dont need or can handle anything too large, but I would like a floorstander over yet another bookshelf speaker. Thats all Ive ever owned, and would really like something that to me would be a bit classier.

Well they arrive today! (I love the fact that Madisound is so close it IL where I just moved to. )
Ive decided to go with a floorstaner cabinet, with the top of it built into Madisounds recommended enclosure, and the bottom half of it built into a powered sub on each side with an 8" P.E. Quatro sub more than likely, killing two birds with one stone.

*Update*
First off, this thread will be a somewhat diary of my Swifty's. Since I havent really been able to find much about them, maybe this will help.
First off, to anyone who has questioned tryign the kit out, I say go for it. Madisound has been a pleasure to buy from. Shipping has been same day, and in both orders, even thoguh I paid for ground, it arrived next day since Im only a state or two over.
secondly, this kit is a no brainer. I priced out how much the crossover parts would be, from 3 different places, and everytime, it was the same price as just ordering the pre-built ones from Madisound. So I got the prebuilts. These crossovers are top notch. VERY well constructed, and actually pretty heavy too.good quality parts without going esoteric.
Since I am building these into floorstanders, with only the top secion built as the Swifty enclosure, I was able to order 8 Black chrome spikes for less than $10. And nice binding posts for only $1.45 each.
I am in the process of building the enclosures now, and other than a few cutting mistakes just trying to learn my new saw and cutting 45's with it, its been pretty smooth. I will try to take some pics of the crossovers and boxes tonight when I get home.

Hi,

The only concern I have is the 50R resistor across the tweeter,
a value that will do little except limit supersonic impedance.

Tweeter inductance can lead to an exageration / rising response
towards the top octaves, reducing "50R" and changing "3R" for
level could be used to balance the top octaves.

Thanks for the advice. Once I get them finished I will play around with changing out the resistors and seeing how much of a difference that will make! Actually thanks for ALL the advice you've given me. Its made me feel alot mor confident about finally after 10 years of wanting to go DIY to do it!

Meadowlark Swift Cabinet Design

I just ordered the same speakers from Madisound and wondered if you ever received information on the interior layout of the original Swift speakers. I know from Web research that the layout was somehow different than a typical TQWT speaker in that the cabinet was intended to have the reverse effect on impedance as the frequency drops.

I would also be very interested to hear what you think of your finished speakers.

Re: Meadowlark Swift Cabinet Design

starcaptain said:
I just ordered the same speakers from Madisound and wondered if you ever received information on the interior layout of the original Swift speakers. I know from Web research that the layout was somehow different than a typical TQWT speaker in that the cabinet was intended to have the reverse effect on impedance as the frequency drops.

SWIFIG1.jpg

Hi,

Impedance is similar to a vented box except for a bad line resonance at
200Hz. The results are no better than a vented 15L box tuned to 40Hz.

See green line in attachment to post #3.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.