Medowlark Swift clones? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th March 2008, 10:35 AM   #31
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JCoffey
Ok I see what youre saying then. so since I changed the baffle width, thereby changing what
the crossover was designed for, I should just start from sctrach with the x-over and volume?

Quote:
however the extended front baffle will mitigate against the narrower baffle width.
Hi,

no for the c/o. For the volume its up to you, IMO and the
estimations I made earlier there is no need to reduce the
actual internal volume of a similarly shaped speaker and
in fact the larger enclosure is better for full range use.

Unless you want to go the full sim route :
http://www.rjbaudio.com/Audiofiles/FRDtools.html
http://www.geocities.com/woove99/Spkrbldg/
The stock crossover is hard to improve upon.

/sreten.
Old 5th March 2008, 03:02 PM   #32
JCoffey is offline JCoffey  United States
diyAudio Member

Ah, ok. I understand now. Still on the learning curve I guess. Now if I could only learn how to cut the hole for the PVC vent cleanly haha
Old 6th March 2008, 02:34 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Let me just say that for $54 for the drivers, WOW. Im not even finished with the enclosures yet, but I can see theres going to be a fair amount of bass, and the clarity and openess is already showing. They can play loud and clean, although I havent pushed them yet since they're new.Once I have the ports installed the midbass will definitely open up as well. These kits are by no means the pinnicle of audio nirvana, but truthfully, its an AMAZING bang for the buck. If you are looking for a cheap project to tinker with, or a nice set of bedroom speakers, or a nice gift for friends and family, jump on it. As the drivers break in, I install the ports, and finish the enclosures, I will post more photos and experiences......
Old 10th March 2008, 02:54 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

I installed the ports, and glued the side onto each tower. While they sounded great without the port, Once the port was put in, and the cabinets sealed, WOW. This is a whole new beast. Bass output is wonderful. The full range sound is quite impressive actually. Over the years Ive been into stereo equipment and have listened many different speakers in many different price ranges, I must say these are a GREAT bang for the buck. I think most would be hard pressed to find a better deal. I remember the original Swifts, and listened to them quite a bit, almost buying them before having to move and using the money towards that. THey were a good speaker, but I think the new crossovers and different cabinet make them an even better speaker. They are lively, quick, not strained, and not fatiguing in any way that Ive seen so far. If you want a simple project, for either your first one, or for gifts or office systems, bedrooms, or even as your main speakers, go for it. You wont be disapointed.
Once they are finished with a veneer I will post more pics of them. Thanks to everyones advice and suggestions!

Hide this!Advertise here!