Medowlark Swift clones?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I've almost completed the cabinets. Cutting the side panels at the right angle was a nightmare. and ROTO-Zips are Horrid for making clean straight cuts!!!
I should have them finished tonight or tomorrow evening, and then I will start listening to them and breaking them in. After that, I will start finishing the cabinets in Cherry. I will take some pics tonight of the progress and post them.....

Here are a couple pics of the work so far. cutting the angled cut for the side is damn near impossible with the tools I have. And let me just say, unless you REALLY know what you are doing, its pretty hard to get good accurate cuts with an inexpensive table saw. I should have just gone with a sawboard from the beginning like I had planned.
Oh, and again STAY AWAY FROM ROTOZIPS! Im taking mine back. They are horrid and you CANNOT make clean cuts. The circle cutting attachment was $25 more, and its a piece of cheap plastic that flexes and wont lock down enough to hold the setting!!!!!!!

Attachments

• swiftyside.jpg
    swiftyside.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 246
About the enclosure. The top section on the tower is .34 cf, same volume as the enclosure recommented by Madisound. It will have the 2" PVC port in the rear as well. I figure if they used LEAP to design this thing, it should perform well with what they say, so who am I to question it. The bottom will have the binding posts, and will allow me to fill with sand, since it is a bit narrow, as well as keeping it solid with a Jack Russel puppy tearing through the house like he does. I decided to not go with a sub here for a couple reasons, I can have more flexibility with placement, and I really wanted to go with the Swift style. One thing I didnt like about the Swift was that it was just too wide for my tastes. I love the classy clean slim look of narrower towers with speakers coming towards the edge. I should have the final side cut after work today, and that will allow me to run the wiring. Right now Im stuck trying to figure out how to cut the hole for the vent, so that its clean. I dont have a router right now, so Im kinda lost. Im trying to locate a pre-glued veneer in cherry to finish it all of once Im done, and that should be it!. I hope to have them breaking in starting tonight on the new Yamaha reciever I purchased over the weekend, and maybe get to finish the outside of them this weekend!

JCoffey said:
About the enclosure. The top section on the tower is .34 cf, same volume as the enclosure recommented by Madisound. It will have the 2" PVC port in the rear as well. I figure if they used LEAP to design this thing, it should perform well with what they say, so who am I to question it.

Hi,

As far as I know LEAP does crossovers not boxes.

There is no question that the green curve in post #3 is better than
the blue curve for full range usage. The blue curve would be better
when combined with an 80Hz AV small speaker rolloff and sub.

Box design is about compromise and 15L is really a little large for a
5" driver but due to its parameters a 10L box is about the smallest
box you can get away with a vented alignement, 15L is better,

:)/sreten.

JCoffey said:

Yes, LEAP only does x-overs, but I meant that if it was designed with that size in mind, it should
work well. There will be a sub in the end at some point, but they will mainly be full range.

With this box size, do I need to worry about overworking the 5"?

Hi,

As your messing around with baffle width sticking to box volume
doesn't seem to make any sense, however the extended front
baffle will mitigate against the narrower baffle width.

Regarding the 5" you cannot expect miracles but it will have the
same output as a 10" sealed driver with the same throw at the
port frequency, below this frequency power handling rapidly
goes west so its important to not tune too high.

JCoffey said:
Ok I see what youre saying then. so since I changed the baffle width, thereby changing what
the crossover was designed for, I should just start from sctrach with the x-over and volume?

however the extended front baffle will mitigate against the narrower baffle width.

Hi,

no for the c/o. For the volume its up to you, IMO and the
estimations I made earlier there is no need to reduce the
actual internal volume of a similarly shaped speaker and
in fact the larger enclosure is better for full range use.

Unless you want to go the full sim route :
http://www.rjbaudio.com/Audiofiles/FRDtools.html
http://www.geocities.com/woove99/Spkrbldg/
The stock crossover is hard to improve upon.

Let me just say that for $54 for the drivers, WOW. Im not even finished with the enclosures yet, but I can see theres going to be a fair amount of bass, and the clarity and openess is already showing. They can play loud and clean, although I havent pushed them yet since they're new.Once I have the ports installed the midbass will definitely open up as well. These kits are by no means the pinnicle of audio nirvana, but truthfully, its an AMAZING bang for the buck. If you are looking for a cheap project to tinker with, or a nice set of bedroom speakers, or a nice gift for friends and family, jump on it. As the drivers break in, I install the ports, and finish the enclosures, I will post more photos and experiences......

I installed the ports, and glued the side onto each tower. While they sounded great without the port, Once the port was put in, and the cabinets sealed, WOW. This is a whole new beast. Bass output is wonderful. The full range sound is quite impressive actually. Over the years Ive been into stereo equipment and have listened many different speakers in many different price ranges, I must say these are a GREAT bang for the buck. I think most would be hard pressed to find a better deal. I remember the original Swifts, and listened to them quite a bit, almost buying them before having to move and using the money towards that. THey were a good speaker, but I think the new crossovers and different cabinet make them an even better speaker. They are lively, quick, not strained, and not fatiguing in any way that Ive seen so far. If you want a simple project, for either your first one, or for gifts or office systems, bedrooms, or even as your main speakers, go for it. You wont be disapointed.
Once they are finished with a veneer I will post more pics of them. Thanks to everyones advice and suggestions!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.