Zaph Has A New Design - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st January 2008, 04:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Zaph Has A New Design

http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZDT3.html

I haven't seen much discussion here about it so I thought I'd post a link in case people are interested and might like to ask John some questions - he always makes himself available on the forum for Q&A.
Old 21st January 2008, 05:06 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Neat!! I just left PE with four of the 7" in the cart. I was looking at the HiVi domed midrange along with the Seas 27 tweeter from Madisound and thought I would come here to look around. Glad you posted the link, I was beginning to think I was nuts to build a 3.5, now at least I know, I'm not alone.
Old 21st January 2008, 05:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Cool - that was very fortunate timing.

You're not nuts to build a 3.5 way - especially if someone who knows what he's doing has already designed it for you.
Old 21st January 2008, 06:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I wish he'd designed it with single rs225.
I'm not sure that rs225 would fit in this box though.
Still, NT1 and rs52 crossover section is very useful to use as
reference or as starting point for another design.
Old 21st January 2008, 06:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

FWIW I have seen a design out there with a single RS225, but using the RS28A tweeter. I don't remember who designed it though - it's possible Jay_WJ could tell you that.

In any event, the choice of the 7" vs. the 8" & 3.5 way vs. 3-way etc. are good questions for Zaph...
Old 21st January 2008, 08:44 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
FWIW I have seen a design out there with a single RS225, but using the RS28A tweeter. I don't remember who designed it though - it's possible Jay_WJ could tell you that.
I think there is a link to the project on htguide.com Mission possible DIY forum. I think Zaph put a link in the ZDT3 design page
Old 21st January 2008, 09:23 PM   #7
John L is offline John L  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bullet

I think there is a link to the project on htguide.com Mission possible DIY forum. I think Zaph put a link in the ZDT3 design page
he has also made changes since I was there the other day. Not only has he added the Crossover parts listing, but has changed the cabinet options for it.

Has anyone noticed that?
Old 21st January 2008, 10:31 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sdclc126

In any event, the choice of the 7" vs. the 8" & 3.5 way vs. 3-way etc. are good questions for Zaph...
I think he said it using the reference to a monkey's coffin. I believe he was shooting for a not too large enclosure that would still have some respectable bass, ie 2- 7's, the 8's need a larger enclosure, in the area of twice the size, by quick calc.

3.5 vs 3, everyones built a 3, it's old school. The most noticible thing about Zaph's designs are the visual aspect of the speakers, more of a majestic look. A 3 would look nice, but the two 7's give an air of a more high tech design.

And for a topper, I see Zaph as kind of a thorn in the high enders side, shooting for good reasonable sound at a reasonable cost.

Let's face it, transducers have existed for a long time, there's no need to spend your retirement to get good clean sound. And with a little effort, he proves just that.
Old 21st January 2008, 10:48 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

"Let's face it, transducers have existed for a long time, there's no need to spend your retirement to get good clean sound. And with a little effort, he proves just that."

Amen to that - there are a lot of other DIY designs out there but many of them get rather pricey - Zaph always comes right in at the working man's budget. High performance, high value, affordable cost.
Old 26th January 2008, 04:27 PM   #10
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Interesting, first "3way" from Zaph ?

Hide this!Advertise here!