Zaph Has A New Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Neat!! I just left PE with four of the 7" in the cart. I was looking at the HiVi domed midrange along with the Seas 27 tweeter from Madisound and thought I would come here to look around. Glad you posted the link, I was beginning to think I was nuts to build a 3.5, now at least I know, I'm not alone.

FWIW I have seen a design out there with a single RS225, but using the RS28A tweeter. I don't remember who designed it though - it's possible Jay_WJ could tell you that.

In any event, the choice of the 7" vs. the 8" & 3.5 way vs. 3-way etc. are good questions for Zaph...

sdclc126 said:
FWIW I have seen a design out there with a single RS225, but using the RS28A tweeter. I don't remember who designed it though - it's possible Jay_WJ could tell you that.

In any event, the choice of the 7" vs. the 8" & 3.5 way vs. 3-way etc. are good questions for Zaph...

I think he said it using the reference to a monkey's coffin. I believe he was shooting for a not too large enclosure that would still have some respectable bass, ie 2- 7's, the 8's need a larger enclosure, in the area of twice the size, by quick calc.

3.5 vs 3, everyones built a 3, it's old school. The most noticible thing about Zaph's designs are the visual aspect of the speakers, more of a majestic look. A 3 would look nice, but the two 7's give an air of a more high tech design.

And for a topper, I see Zaph as kind of a thorn in the high enders side, shooting for good reasonable sound at a reasonable cost.

Let's face it, transducers have existed for a long time, there's no need to spend your retirement to get good clean sound. And with a little effort, he proves just that.

"Let's face it, transducers have existed for a long time, there's no need to spend your retirement to get good clean sound. And with a little effort, he proves just that."

Amen to that - there are a lot of other DIY designs out there but many of them get rather pricey - Zaph always comes right in at the working man's budget. High performance, high value, affordable cost.

Hi guys, thanks for the comments.

I've done quite a few 3-ways over the years but never posted any because I often don't think the value and performance is a big enough improvement over a 2-way. I originally was not going to post this one, but I did after some convincing from a couple other guys.

There's some discussion in a thread over at HTguide where I am answering some questions. Note: I've already shot down the first guy who asked to substitute a different driver in the design. :D

he has also made changes since I was there the other day. Not only has he added the Crossover parts listing, but has changed the cabinet options for it.

Yup, a few things changing here and there as I notice typos and things I forgot. I'm actually not going to consider it finished until I build another one and get some system HD sweeps done. I had attempted one, but the 2.5 meter design distance and tall vertical array made room effect issues apparent in the combined driver sweeps. So now I have to do some merging and splicing of semi near field sweeps. I built this design 8 months ago and I don't own it anymore.

John, have you seen the PE deal of the day? It is the Tang Band W5-704D 5-1/4" Woofer. The designation this year is slightly changed to a "D" rather than an "S", but the specs seem to be pretty much the same. You gave it your designation as the Value Leader in your tests. I wonder if you ever plan to do anything with it?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

John L said:
John, have you seen the PE deal of the day? It is the Tang Band W5-704D 5-1/4" Woofer. The designation this year is slightly changed to a "D" rather than an "S", but the specs seem to be pretty much the same. You gave it your designation as the Value Leader in your tests. I wonder if you ever plan to do anything with it?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I posted a thread on here spec. about this deal, thought it was worthy of it's own thread - so cheap...

Anyway, on the P.E. website the customer review says:

"Great sound for the price. Smoothness makes it easy to cross. Nice cast frame. It's a W5-704S not W5-704D. Used it on my first DIY project, 2 way design. Impressive bass out of a ported box. Building 3 more for 5.1."

edit: Zaph says: "Update: I thought I might mention that the W5-704D is the same as the W5-704S. I've tested both and they are functionally the same with the only minor differences likely due to batch consistency. The part number has changed only to reflect ROHS compliancy. Diana Huang from Tangband has confirmed this in some email discussions." So, that clears that up...

So, maybe it is the S still that is being sold, no idea if anyone knows the diff. between the "S" and the "D"?

I am considering these W5-704D's, since Critofur brought the sale price to my attention. Zaph, would the MMTMM make it more likely that a complex xover would be needed? I have 5 Vifa D27TG-05-06 Tweeters that seem likely to match up well with these. Now the efficiency is off, but maybe that won't matter any more, for me anyways, I just found out that I can't hear anything over
13.5 K :bigeyes:

Seriosly though, since others would listen to them too, I would have to knock those tweeter efficiencies down a notch.

Jon

tinitus said:
That TB 5" is on hand so cheap that the discount is insignificant, unless you consider an array

BTW...now you are at it, this new TB looks ok
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w5-1611sa.htm

40% off "insignificant", hmph, maybe if your nickname could be "moneybags"?

Sure, it'd be nice to see 40% off some 7" Seas drivers, but, 3 for the price of 2 is enough of a deal to me that I decided to go ahead and order a half dozen to build some speakers with.

Zaph prob. wouldn't be happy with the distortion that you'd get if you try to get much bass out of these drivers, but, I bet you could make a decent sounding 2 way (vented) speaker with these drivers that'll still sound better than a $100 best buy speaker. If you don't play too loud, I bet these could be crossed as low as ~ 50hz (I mean that the port would be tuned around there). If you're wanting something more (better sound, less distortion) then I bet they'd still be great covering the range from ~ 100hz - ~ 2.5Khz. I want to try a 1st order xover to the tweeter with mine.

The reason they look good to me is: they don't look to have any huge high freq. peaks such as metal cone "break up" so a simple 1st order xover without notch filters might turn out OK.

Sorry to say, the deal's over, and, the kind young woman I talked to on the phone, Sara, said that they're out of stock now also.

She was nice enough to give me the $15 price to order a few more this evening, because when I called earlier today the man said the deal would be on until midnight. She's at extension 112 until 7:30 PM tonight, or so, not sure if she can give that price out anymore, but maybe.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.