Dayton RS150S-8 & Vifa D27TG-05-06 a good match? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2008, 06:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Dayton RS150S-8 & Vifa D27TG-05-06 a good match?

I have the Vifa Tweeters already. The Daytons appear to be good drivers. Any user experience with either of these drivers would be greatly appreciated.

My intended Use is an MtM With a seperate single or stereo Sub. Or possibly an MTMW with a 12 inch woofer.

Vifa D27TG-05-06 Specs from PE:

100 watts RMS/140 watts max *With Vifa Recommended Xover
Nominal impedance: 6 ohms
DC resistance: 4.6 ohms
Frequency range: 2,500-30,000 Hz
Magnet weight: 8.5 oz.
Fs: 1000 Hz
SPL: 91 dB 1W/1m

Dayton RS150S-8 ^" Woofer Specs:

40 watts RMS/65 watts max
VCdia: 1" *Le: .70 mH
Znom: 8 ohms Re: 6.2 ohms
Frequency range: 45-3,500 Hz
Fs: 48 Hz
SPL: 88.0 dB 2.83V/1m
Vas: .50 cu. ft.
Qms: 2.10
Qes: .50
Qts: .40
Xmax: 4 mm

Would love to hear from Zaph on this one. Kinda seems up his alley, But everyone comment please.

Jon
Old 21st January 2008, 04:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

To be honest this may not be a good match - for the Daytons you need to cross over fairly low and steeply to deal with their breakups. I'm not sure the Vifa tweeters are up to this - I've seen the Daytons crossed as high as 2500 but 2000 or lower is probably best. In the 2500 region you'd need a steep filter on the Vifa tweeter also, so this could get expensive.

I am currently using the Daytons with the SEAS 27TBFC/G tweeter crossed at about 1900 Hz and it works very well. If you can invest in a pair of these or one of the other SEAS 27T models you will have a better driver combo and probably a much better sounding speaker.

Take a look at this site, if you haven't yet:

http://www.geocities.com/woove99/Spkrbldg/index.htm
Old 21st January 2008, 06:32 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the reply.

I looked at the site, which seems like it will be helpful. Though on the site the project relating to this is using the 7" Dayton RS. Is that the same as what you used, and does it make any difference since this is the 6"? I realize part of the low crossover need is due to the "breakup".

Jon
Old 21st January 2008, 06:40 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The site was just for some helpful hints - you cannot use the same crossover for the 6" as in the 7." But Jay designed the crossover I used for my speakers, and I believe I still have it. I can email it to you or post it, but I have to wait until I get home tonight.

As for the 27TBFC/G tweeter, I can't recomend it enough - it is one of the best tweeters in the world at any price - if you haven't seen it check out:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/

And the two designs he has used it in:

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker17.html

http://www.zaphaudio.com/BAMTM.html
Old 21st January 2008, 07:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your replies. If you can send the info you offered I would appreciate it. I will review it and see where I stand.

I am kinda pissed, I spent quite a bit of money(a matter of opinion I guess) for 3 different drivers that seem to be low performers, or are hard to make use of with other drivers. I guess I will try to do a little more research this time around so I am not tossing more money out the window. I may just bite the bullet and copy Zaphs BMTM.

I don't know...

Jon
Old 21st January 2008, 07:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

OK - I'll see if I can look it up tonight - if I don't still have it you can contact Jay on his site and I'm sure he will be happy to send it to you - he keeps all of his files.

Yeah it's definitely a good rule of thumb to know what you're going to build before you start buying parts! But you can probably sell whatever you don't use on eBay, Craigslist etc. to at least recoup some of your losses.
Old 22nd January 2008, 03:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have the XO as a Word doc - I'll PDF it tomorrow and then post.

Stay tuned!
Old 22nd January 2008, 07:41 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks,

I appreciate your efforts. 20 guys in the EnABle thread bickering, and the noob(me), who needs some help, gets 1 guy. So your help is that much more appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon
Old 22nd January 2008, 09:09 AM   #9
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

http://www.eldamar.net/audio/RS150MTM/

Hi,

Some useful info above.

http://www.rjbaudio.com/Audiofiles/FRDtools.html
http://www.geocities.com/woove99/Spkrbldg/

For the method.
D27 does not look unusable with 3rd order electrical.
http://zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/

FWIW the floorstanding BAMTM is hugely cost effective is you
are avoiding adding a subwoofer and HT needs are modest.

/sreten.
Old 22nd January 2008, 04:07 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi Jon,

FWIW here's the RS150 + 27TBFC/G XO. Looks like the Vifa will work though (not with the same XO) so no reason to ditch it. Decent tweeter too. This works well with the P.E. 0.5 cu.ft. cabinet - you can build your own though with the same or similar dimensions.

Bear in mind this is for a TM design, it would have to be changed for MTM. But for me in a 12 x 10 room it's plenty, and I cross over to a single 8" sub at 80 Hz, to avoid localization. I am toying with the idea of stereo subs but it seems unnecessary for my needs. And this is a very cost-effective configuration.

What I can tell you is that my speakers sound fantastic - lots and lots of detail - I'm sure you will be very happy with the RS woofers as they are probably the best for the money, and whatever tweeter you go with as long as it's in the class we're discussing.

Also - because my budget has allowed it I'm actually going to do a new design, ala Jay_WJ, with the SEAS tweet and the Usher 8945P 7" woofer - big jump in price though. But the reason I'm telling you this is because my Daytons will be looking for a new home soon, so if you want to go with them I can offer you a very fair used price if you're interested...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rs150_ tbfc.pdf (73.8 KB, 80 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!