Monitor Audio S6 tweek

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:eek:
Ok, i discover the Xover is direct mounted on the rear terminal...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

:cool:
What i notice too, with a direct listen on the speakers, is that the "problem" seems to came from the mid driver,when vocals came in action. No harsh from the tweeter. The mid band seems confused and harsh at the top end.
I believe if i tamed the mid drive a little at the top, i can manage the situation. I'll start to increase 1uF (Intertechnik MKP) // Mid Drive, and listen.

Bye

:D

Good evening.
A week ago i solve the S6 invasion in the back, by the wire terminal. The Xover is attached to the block.
I change this 4uF polyester type cap, at mid band filter...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

...by this new MKP-QS, 4,7uF 400V, from Audyn.

It upgrade the top midband clarity and confort at listening. Much less fatigue and the snare drum in Herbie Hanckock's "Future Schock" sounds now more "correct".The same happens with the high pitch vocals.

A simple and very decent upgrade.

Thanks to all your help, Good People.

Bye

:)

After make some auditions with new gear in the retailers, i feel the trend is to droping the treble a bit. I advise you to check the 22Ohms parallel with the tweeter, solution, as Rob did. I believe its better if you do it at the crossover board, since i couldn't retrieve de tweeter driver from the cabinet; and i don't want to use too much force and damage the enclosure.
;)

Just ran a quick sim of this speaker. Phase is TERRIBLE! Tweeter crossover has an unnaturally small capacitor, doubtless to protect it from overdriving. It should be 8uF really to optimise everything. :D

My finding was that the second woofer should have a 2mH coil, not 1mH.

Add shunt capacitors to taste. 2X 4uF is OK, 2X 8uF better. Cuts out a lot of metal cone breakup rubbish. Zobel to tame the rising tweeter response.

Attachments

• Monitor_Audio_RS6_Crossover.JPG
    Monitor_Audio_RS6_Crossover.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 243
  • Monitor_Audio_RS6.JPG
    Monitor_Audio_RS6.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 248
  • Monitor_Audio_RS6_Modified_Crossover.JPG
    Monitor_Audio_RS6_Modified_Crossover.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 197
  • Monitor_Audio_RS6_Modified.JPG
    Monitor_Audio_RS6_Modified.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 190
  • Monitor_Audio_RS6_Stereophile.JPG
    Monitor_Audio_RS6_Stereophile.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
:p
Holly Sh*t, with this upgrade or others, it began to sound like a gold series speakers.

Actually i'm tempted to try the tweeter mod. I've got 4 MKP 1uF 5% caps from Inter Tecnik at stock and all i have to get are the 8,2 Ohms resistors.

May be i use the original MA 4uF MKS caps in the low drive, to clean up a bit the top.

Not a so dramatic change, but a step foward.

Do you agree with this option, System 7?

Thank You very much for the schematics an simulation you did.
You're running the hard gear.

It's one of those little irritations to the competent designer that when it's all finished and near perfect, the bean-counters move in and start stripping out expensive components and generally muck up a nice product in favour of a quick buck! :D

8uF and 10uf 250V polypropylenes are the first to go. Followed by Zobels. Naturally the resulting brash and lively result tends to pall with further listening. As here. :rolleyes:

Here's what I think the original designer did, before it got pared down. You see the midrange is less peaky at 1.5kHz and harsh cone breakup is reduced at 5-10kHz, there isn't a dip at 3kHz because we are using 3rd order treble filter, and the top end is less peaky because of the Zobel which IMO is essential with metal domes. It's actually rather good, though I haven't modelled the bass exactly here.

Start with the stereophile measured response of the released speaker. Does it all makes sense now? :cool:

Oh, and in answer to your question, as long as the bass shunt capacitors are roughly similar, the two woofers stay aligned on phase. But bigger than 4uF helps cone breakup suppression.

Attachments

• Monitor_Audio_RS6_GoodModPhase.JPG
    Monitor_Audio_RS6_GoodModPhase.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 142
  • Monitor_Audio_RS6_GoodMod_Circuit.JPG
    Monitor_Audio_RS6_GoodMod_Circuit.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 156
  • Monitor_Audio_RS6_GoodMod.JPG
    Monitor_Audio_RS6_GoodMod.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Monitor_Audio_RS6_photo.JPG
    Monitor_Audio_RS6_photo.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 85
  • Monitor_Audio_RS6_Stereophile.JPG
    Monitor_Audio_RS6_Stereophile.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
;)
Hi Steve. At the second option you sacrifice bass extension and correct the gap between the mid and treble drivers.

I try the first tweeter setup, and i'm running the gear now. It sounds to me that the mid band is a little proeminent, create a bit nasalization effect. Treble sounds fine at cymbals, but the link point with the mid band seems worst. Running some hours to burn the addition and new welding.
Most probably it returns to the former situation or get all the parts and run a full update.

The gang:

The gang running the show:

Thanks once more, Steve.

:smash:

Last edited:
The tweeter Zobel should really only tame the treble around 5-10kHz by a couple of dB without affecting the crossover point performance. You could reduce its effects with, say, 8.2R (7-10W W/W preferably) and a mere 1uF. That is a typical value for a 0.05mH Le, 6R DC tweeter.

It's a bit all or nothing with the rest of it. I really couldn't find another solution that leaves a good impedance and power handling. I did sim a filter (below) that reuses the 0.2mH coil, but the impedance dip to 6 ohms @ 3kHz leaves me slightly uncomfortable.

Truthfully, the second order tweeter filter that MA use is a bit rubbish here. The whole modification should make for a much more refined sound IMO. Reducing the metal cone breakup should help a lot, and I think it will image better.

Ignore the bass response, that is just a trick I use to get the Boxsim optimiser to do what I want. It isn't affected here. LOL

Attachments

• Mon_Audio_RS6_6.8uF_Network.JPG
    Mon_Audio_RS6_6.8uF_Network.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Mon_Audio_RS6_6.8uF.JPG
    Mon_Audio_RS6_6.8uF.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Steve,
How will the speaker sound if replacing 2.7 Ohm by 3.9 Ohm resistor, 4.7 uF by 3.3 uF capacitor, 0.2 mH by 0.25 mH inductor for the tweeter?
That's going in the wrong direction really. You've got a low crossover on the metal drivers as is normal practice, but a high crossover on the tweeter. It just makes a huge hole in the midrange...

Notice how bad phase is on this speaker.

Attachments

• Mon_Audio_RS6_3.3uF_Network.JPG
    Mon_Audio_RS6_3.3uF_Network.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 258
  • Mon_Audio_RS6_3.3uF_Phase.JPG
    Mon_Audio_RS6_3.3uF_Phase.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 258
  • Mon_Audio_RS6_3.3uF.JPG
    Mon_Audio_RS6_3.3uF.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 264
I will show you the modelling of the standard MA speaker without and with the Zobel. As you can see, it just rolls off the top end as predicted. Sounds far better to my ears with metal tweeters which have some issues at the top:
E0047-04 T29MF001

I can always hear a metal tweeter dome. They make classical piano sound metallic. But nice on rock and jazz drums. :)

Metal woofers have all sorts of breakup modes around 5-10kHz. The SEAS Thor crossover attempts to notch what is a tidy 4.8kHz single peak here. Most metal cones are worse than this.

If you look at the W18E001 driver frequency response, you can see why it has this:
E0018-08S W18E001

The whole thing is discussed at Klippel, if you are interested:
Vibration analysis

Klippel modelling gets quite close to the more typical SEAS L18RNX/P driver. Bit of a pig to tame that one!

Last edited:
:confused:

Sorry Steve, but i'm a bit lost with the meaning of the 1st and 2nd graphic.
The idea was to prevent the depression after 10Khz and the peak at 20Khz with the 8,2 Ohms+2uF, even with the original crossover of the MA Silver S6; to tame the top a bit.
Wasn't it?
By the way, which software do you use for loudspeaker simulation?

;)

I'm using Visaton Boxsim. Very nice, very easy!
Downloads

Also substituting the Visaton AL-130 driver which is a typical metal cone:
AL 130 - 8 Ohm

And the soft dome G25FFL. I gotta admit I thought that was a metal dome, but it shouldn't matter much, but I might remodel it with something else...:eek:
G 25 FFL - 8 Ohm

A Zobel just reduces treble by 2dB in conjunction with an attenuating resistor on the input to the filter. That's what the diagram shows. Doesn't sound like much, but these sort of differences make a level mismatch stand out. It won't cure the characteristic aluminium tweeter peak at around 27kHz, but will reduce it.

Last edited:
:rolleyes:

Ok, Steve. So, the high pass notch (8,2Ohms+2uF) only attenuates the tweeter response by 2db or more, after "what" zone?
It will cut a bit the 20Khz peak, but don't correct the 10khz + depression, only deeps it a bit.
After all we dont have MA Silver S6 tweeter model and specs.

Best regards

Don't worry, it's not hard to modify an existing design if you have certain goals in mind. It's enough to know the general principles of filters. :D

I remodelled it with a metal dome tweeter, and it's not much different. BUT PHASE is now a DELIGHT. This confirms a new principle for me. Use paper tweeters with paper woofers, and metal tweeters with metal woofers for good phase. :cool:

Here's the final design. You can use the existing treble filter for now, but I'd recommend the third order. 10uF is OK, but 15uF is now optimum. Beyond a certain point, you have to live with that top treble rise. It's not easy to notch tweeters without taking impedance too low.

Attachments

• MA-RS6-Network-DSM.JPG
    MA-RS6-Network-DSM.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 160
  • MA-RS6-Network-DSM-Phase.JPG
    MA-RS6-Network-DSM-Phase.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 159
  • MA-RS6_DSM-FResp.JPG
    MA-RS6_DSM-FResp.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 108
:confused:

But as far i could see with Seas tweeters, theres a big chance of the inductor value be 50uH, which would imply a 2,2uF capacitor to create a low Z at 15Khz; but it will devastate the HF response of the system. Behind that, the Zobel would take care of the 20Khz peak, and behind the Zobel the high pass filter take care of the hf band and spl tuning of the HF drive.

What does the 18uF cap, after the highpass stage. Its a bit expensive a 18uF MKP capacitor?!

Best regards

:crazy:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.