Monitor Audio S6 tweek

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At the time of my last post, I had settled on the original crossover with the addition of an R-C network across the tweeter. Wasn't able to get the 3rd order arrangement to sound better- cleaner but not better. Again , thanks to System7 for his suggestions.

Since that time , I have modified the crossovers further;
1. Removed the magnetic standoff between the binding post and the XO board. Hardwired the connection(s).
2. Removed the ORIGINAL capacitors and resisters and replaced with identical values using Mills 10 watt resisters and "new" capacitors I purchased from Jeff at Soniccraft. Rewired the runs from the XO board to the drivers for the tweeter and midrange.
3. Removed the temporary RC network across the tweeter and replaced it with a mills resister and Soniccap of identical value(s).

I am happy to report I was able to fit the new components on the existing board with the exception of the RC network which I put behind the tweeter. Pretty cramped but do-able.

I now have about 75 hours on the new crossover. Here are my thoughts at this time;

-The addition of the RC network to the original crossover was able to remove the objectionable "harsh" component to the music without removing musical content. An easy and inexpensive upgrade when installed behind the tweeter.

-The new component upgrade brought a much smoother, sweeter presentation to the music while at the same time exposed much more detail than before. The previous soundstage was wide but had the conical blare feeling at the primary listening position. After the modification ,a wall of music appeared and the soundstage was much more three dimensional. There is now an ease to the music -listening fatique is greatly reduced. I am very happy with this upgrade.

I know there are many well respected experts in the audio industry that can't hear an improvement when upgrading over stock capacitors /resistors.In MY system it was such a dramatic and obvious improvement that there must be very system specific influences at work here .

I have never attempted this type of modification before -minimal soldering experience. It wasn't complex but overall many hours of trial and error listening went into this. The actual modification took maybe 4 hours per board. I could probably do it in half the time now.

Jeff at Soniccraft provided direction across many minutes/hours of phone calls. This guy knows his stuff and having him guide me in this process was what made it successful. Thanks Jeff

There's obviously various levels of mods possible here. Feedback always good though.

This is the 0riginal S6 AFAIK:

319096d1356212310-monitor-audio-s6-tweek-monitor_audio_rs6_stereophile.jpg

509336d1445048785-monitor-audio-s6-tweek-monitor-audio-s6.png

I can only reiterate what I have done and why I did it. Firstly I attempted to reduce the cone breakup from the metal woofers. This should make for a smoother sound without metal harshness.

Secondly I attempted to smooth out the midrange dip at 3kHz. This needed a 3rd order filter and the bigger bass coil.

Lastly I attempted to reduce the top end a little. This needs the Zobel.

...snip

318997d1356154689-monitor-audio-s6-tweek-rs6_modified.jpg

318998d1356154689-monitor-audio-s6-tweek-rs6_freqresp.jpg

Interestingly, it seems Monitor Audio went more this way themselves in later versions:

509337d1445048785-monitor-audio-s6-tweek-monitor-audio-rs6-modified.jpg

All a moveable feast. :D

Hi System7.
Please, enlight me about the X_over related to this FR and Z graphic!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Is the image above related to this X-over?
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks.
:D
Not directly related at all. Just to show the Monitor Audio addressed some of the issues of this speaker in later versions.

The original was overly simplistic for metal drivers in the lh image. At least people didn't seem to like it much. I tweaked it in the rh image:

318998d1356154689-monitor-audio-s6-tweek-rs6_freqresp.jpg

509336d1445048785-monitor-audio-s6-tweek-monitor-audio-s6.png

A suckout at 3kHz. Cone breakup at 7kHz and an overly bright tweeter. Typical commercial product. I explained my reasoning so clearly, that I can only suggest you reread it in the preceding post. And Have a go. Components really aren't expensive. BTW, enjoyed your location tag...LOL

Last edited:
Has anyone replaced the tweeters in their RS speakers? I've found a company (Willy's Hifi) who say they've had great success swapping the gold C-CAM tweeter for the Morel Elite ET448. I've destroyed three tweeters already and MA openly admit this is the weak point in the Silver RS series. It looks like it should cost £5 not £50 for a replacement.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.