Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th January 2008, 03:23 AM   #1
jekman is offline jekman  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Recommended Altec 604 Cabinet Designs

Recently I was able to obtain a pair of Altec Lansing 604 G8 drivers with original crossovers (not at a reasonable price). They were in pretty nice shape but enclosed in 3/4 inch plywood 18 x 18 x 30 boxes. At least the enclosures were baffeled. Now, I'm a pretty good woodworker and cabinet maker, so difficult is not a problem. But when it comes to the physics of designing an enclosure to best display the fine sound attributes of these drivers, I'm an idiot.

I'm sure Altec Lansing designed enclosures for these drivers and I would love to know what they were. More importantly where I could get copies of the detailed plans. Also I would welcome thoughts on a good enclosure designs from those of you familiar with the Altec 604 G8.
Old 19th January 2008, 08:38 AM   #2
tomp787 is offline tomp787  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 604 cabinets

Hello,

Welcome to diyAudio. There are many possible enclosures for Altec 604. Since this is a 50+ year old design many different cabinets have been used over the years. A good starting place is the Altec 620 cabinet. Then you should try other cabinets. Your second set of cabinets could be the MLTL design that has been discussed here and elsewhere on the web. It is the newest cabinet design I've seen for the 604. Then you should build some vintage cabinet designs. I suggest some Jensen cabinets like the Imperial. I used the 'built-in' version with my Altec 605a but only in mono. I liked it but it was large at 30 cu. ft. I'm now going to try the 605 with an added woofer as was done in the Urei 813 and 815. I hope these keywords and google will get you started. Let me know if you have more questions.

Tom
Old 19th January 2008, 08:35 PM   #3
R.I.P.

604 8G is in the box modeling databases. BB6P suggests net 9 cuft for extended bass or 4.3 cuft for Hi-Fi....
Old 19th January 2008, 10:38 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hello

Here is a link to a box program. It's freeware and comes with a very good preloaded database. It's called WinIsd and you can use it to help design boxes for them. You can retune the ones you have if you want or build new. There are also numerous plans and crossovers for these drivers.

http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=winisd

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...ltec-plans.htm

Have fun they are nice drivers and you can set them up to sound quite good.

Rob
Old 20th January 2008, 03:48 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks! This is all great info. The freeware looks neat, I'll need to study it for awhile. I found the plans for a 620A cabinet but nothing on the types of materials used, such as what kind of wood (does it matter)? what if anything was used for sound damping inside of the cabinet..foam? fiberglass insulation? Polyurethane foam? Maybe I should just play that part by ear.

Others on this site have done some pretty amazing box designs. The technical expertise makes me feel pretty humble.
Old 20th January 2008, 08:30 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Enclosures for 604 8G

This driver works in a 2 cu ft sealed box for use with a subwoofer, about 4.5 cu ft flat to about 40Hz and 9 cu fit flat to about 30Hz. This last is the size of the Altec 620.

Dang.
Old 21st January 2008, 05:21 AM   #7
tomp787 is offline tomp787  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 620 cabinet materials

Void free plywood would be best for the 620 cabinet. You can vary the amount and type of insulation as you say. Old cabinets often had fiberglas on one of each set of parallel sides: top or bottom, left or right, etc.
Old 2nd February 2008, 02:17 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I went to Home Despot and asked a guy in the lumber area for void free plywood and he didn't know what I was talking about. Would birch veneer 3/4 inch work?
Old 2nd February 2008, 02:27 AM   #9
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

No, either find a Baltic Birch or Appleply supplier or ask the special order folks at Home Depot if they will order it for you, which is how I've gotten mine. Note that 19 mm (3/4") BB ply normally only comes in 5 x 5 ft sheets. If you can't get either, then see about premium marine grade.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!