Bass + supravox 165 LB + JP3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everybody,

This is my first post in Diyaudio. I'm in France and I want to design a 3-ways loundspeaker. My listening room is small : 20m2.
For the speaker, I already have :
-tweeter ribbon JP3
-medium Supravox 165 LB

I need to design a crossover for these 2 drivers and I need your help ! At the moment, I have made just a test in a small BR box without filter on the 165 LB, and just a 3,3uf on the JP3. Of course it is not perfect at all but I wanted to to see if the 2 drivers were matchable together in term of rapidity. This is the case !
I need now to found a good crossover and I need your help ! I think it could be a good idea to cross them at 7khz but I have no idea about the kind of crossover (1er order, 2nd, ...)

I also need to found a good bass driver. I will make a biamp with a DCX2496 with a mosfet for bass and a PP6L6 for medium/high. I can allow 40 or 50 L for the bass drivers so I can't imagine a 30 or a 38 driver... I prefer to use 1 or 2 drivers of 17cm or 21 cm (maybe the Vifa P21W0-20-08 because I have already a pair of it and they are quite rapid). The problem of rendement doesn't exist because biamp !

Thanks

Azerty

azerty34 said:
Hi everybody,

This is my first post in Diyaudio. I'm in France and I want to design a 3-ways loundspeaker. My listening room is small : 20m2.
For the speaker, I already have :
-tweeter ribbon JP3
-medium Supravox 165 LB

I need to design a crossover for these 2 drivers and I need your help ! At the moment, I have made just a test in a small BR box without filter on the 165 LB, and just a 3,3uf on the JP3. Of course it is not perfect at all but I wanted to to see if the 2 drivers were matchable together in term of rapidity. This is the case !
I need now to found a good crossover and I need your help ! I think it could be a good idea to cross them at 7khz but I have no idea about the kind of crossover (1er order, 2nd, ...)

I also need to found a good bass driver. I will make a biamp with a DCX2496 with a mosfet for bass and a PP6L6 for medium/high. I can allow 40 or 50 L for the bass drivers so I can't imagine a 30 or a 38 driver... I prefer to use 1 or 2 drivers of 17cm or 21 cm (maybe the Vifa P21W0-20-08 because I have already a pair of it and they are quite rapid). The problem of rendement doesn't exist because biamp !

Thanks

Azerty

Hello Azerty,

The Supravox looks like a nice driver. I am curious to see what you think of their sound.

However, the spec. sheet says its an 4 ohm driver, and since you plan on crossing it to tweeter I must say that the 165 GMF looks like a much better choice.

As to the crossover; the 165 LB looks like its going into breakup around 7-9000 Hz and around 14000 Hz with a large dip followed by a peak. I think you need at least a 2. order filter to take avoid the region above 10 kHz. It might be better to cross at 5000 rather than 7000 Hz due to breakup and dispersion issues.
What brand is the JP3 ribbon?

Cheers
Kris

I already have the 165 LB, so I prefer use it instead of buying a 165 GMF ! The couple 165 LB/JP3 is used in the Argentera Atlantis, so I think it's possible to do something good with these 2 drivers.
JP3 are Fountek drivers.

For the crossover, I'm Ok to test at 5khz but could you design me a crossover ?:xeye:

And for the bass driver, do you think that the Vifa P21WO 20 08 could be a good choice ?

Azerty

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.