Replace or upgrade Mid/Bass on Tannoy R1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I managed to blow the mid/bass driver on one of my Tannoy Revolution R1 speakers. I have been quoted £55 for a new driver from Tannoy but I figured there may be better options available. My dilemma is do I spend £55 on a speaker that is probably worth 20% of that, or do I spend not much more buying two better drivers and upgrade both speakers. The drive unit is a 5" long throw paper woofer, where should I be looking for a replacement, and what parameters/specs should I be checking for a compatible match (ideally I want to leave the crossover alone for now).

Kind regards,

Edward

Get the blown driver re-coned if it was a good driver,but as it was only one,which seems a bit odd,only one blown,not both bass/mid drivers.Replace both bass/midrange drivers with a better driver.

Things to look for:

. same sensitivity [SPL at 1w at 1m] as the original blown driver,otherwise it will be quieter or louder than the tweeter.

.longer x-max,so that the driver had handle more forcefull bass,without over-excersion or nasty distortion.

.the same ohms [impedance] as the old driver,otherwise you might damage the crossover or might not sound right.

Without you telling me the specs of the drivers it's hard to tell what drivers you need for the replacement,but here are a few 5 inch bass/mid drivers.

Audax AP130MO 5 1/4 inch,40w rms,6 ohms,sens 87.6db,X-max 1.6mm

Audax AP130ZO 5 1/4 inch,40w rms,6 ohms,sens 87.4 db,x-max 2mm

Audax AP130G2 5 1/4 inch,40w rms,6 0hm,sens 87.9 db,x max 2.7mm

And you can find the prices at www.maplin.co.uk which is Maplin Electronics PLC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.