Dayton 8 - available in Australia? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th January 2008, 03:03 PM   #1
Tommo is offline Tommo  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Dayton 8 - available in Australia?

Hi all,

I was about to embark on my third speaker building journey and start to build the Dayton 8 (http://www.wadsnet.com/~dtenney/dayton_8MTM.htm) which I've been eying for more than a year. I was just about to place the order from Parts Express after happily seeing they post to Australia, to find out the postage is almost US$170! I couldn't believe it, especially considering the price of the components is less than US$200. There's a parts list on the website I've mentioned and my question is, can these parts be found in Australia?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 15th January 2008, 08:33 AM   #2
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Try Dan at Darcher Audio. He used to have some Dayton drivers and may be able to get them.

http://www.darcheraudio.com.au/
Old 15th January 2008, 09:05 AM   #3
sfreak is offline sfreak  Australia
diyAudio Member

Tommo,

I used to get a few in. Problem is the postage as you mentioned, and the only thing I can recommend is finding something similar to replace it closer to home. When they do get to the land down under, they don't work out to be the budget driver they once were, just more like the somewhat overpriced 'Yeah goes okay' driver.

Problem comes from the fact Dayton are the Parts Express brand so to speak. Only can get them from the States, and no where else. If I could ship from the actual factory in Asia where ever, that would be another story no doubt.

Regards, Dan
Old 15th January 2008, 10:36 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the info guys, though it is unfortunate news as I was so enthusiastic about this project. Thinking slightly outside the box, are there any comparable projects to this Dayton 8 project where the necessary parts are readily available in Oz? Or can anyone steer me in the right direction for possible projects where I could locally source the parts?
Old 15th January 2008, 11:27 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Perhaps this old one

I think Jaycar still stock all these drivers

http://www.speakerbuilding.com/content/1028/

It may be worth looking at, I haven't used that woofer myself but there was a thread discussing late ast year.

regards Ted
Old 15th January 2008, 12:09 PM   #6
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

http://www.zaphaudio.com/Waveguidetmm.html

Hi, more expensive, but higher quality and still very loud with good bass, /sreten.

another option : http://www.geocities.com/woove99/Spk...X_MTM_2Way.htm

Old 15th January 2008, 12:28 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hi Tommo,

Both Jaycar & Altronics have good 8" drivers which work OK, but with current pricing in Aus, for only a few extra $$ you might as well jump up to the next level & buy SEAS or Peerless...
Old 16th January 2008, 09:35 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll take a look at these projects but it looks like my best bet is going the Seas route. What are the common local websites to order Sears drivers from?
Old 16th January 2008, 11:00 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

http://www.aranmaracoustics.com.au/
Old 16th January 2008, 11:02 AM   #10
johnYks is online now johnYks  Australia
diyAudio Member

Hello Tommo

Try www.aranmaracoustics.com.au they are located
in Mentone VICTORIA.
An alternative project to consider would be the www.zaphaudio.com
Vifa XG18 / Seas 27TDFC MTM.

Hide this!Advertise here!