Good speakers for a low power receiver? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2008, 08:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Good speakers for a low power receiver?

I am looking for opinions on which (affordable) speakers would work well with a Pioneer SX-434, which has 15W per channel RMS.

I am currently using Sony SS-MF400H speakers, but I would like something that is just a bit more efficient.

This receiver has a great, wide stereo sound to it, so I'd like to match it up with an ideal pair of speakers. It will make the Sonys loud enough to feel in my chest, but at the expense of tight response.

I'll probably put the Sonys on my SX-780 when I get it next week.
Old 13th January 2008, 09:55 PM   #2
jnb is offline jnb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Have you looked at Fostex?
Old 13th January 2008, 10:17 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

All I've been able to find are powered speakers... Any passive ones I've seen are really expensive.
Old 13th January 2008, 10:32 PM   #4
jnb is offline jnb  Australia
diyAudio Member

Sorry if I don't know what would be expensive in your country. These are $45.

Madisound
Old 13th January 2008, 10:51 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

What counts as affordable?

This being a DIY forum, how involved a building project can you take on?

How big is your room? What's the layout like?
Old 13th January 2008, 11:13 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The room that I currently have the receiver in is 20x9. Though it is my workshop, so it won't be staying there too much longer.

I only paid $30 total for the receiver, so I don't really want to pay more than $100 or so for a used pair of speakers.

I can build stuff DIY, but I don't have the tools to make my own boxes from scratch yet.

I do have a pair of Kenwood JL-670 speakers that sounded good with it, but they need a lot of work (new tweeters, woofers, and some box repairs.
Old 14th January 2008, 10:34 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

As an open baffle convert can I suggest that you consider making a simple (say full range with helper woofer) on open baffle. Since the "box" you have to make is just a board with a hole in it the tools needed are minimal. Just find a nice fullrange with decently high Q and moderate sensitivity (not really high sensitivity because you xover will just have to pad it down) and add a high Q woofer with sensitivity not too much lower than your FR. Simple 2nd order crossover and you are in.

Parts express sells quite a few high Q woofers under the Goldwood brand name. They are cheap but they work. PE also has several nice wide range drivers in the 3 to 5 inch range.

Might just do the trick for you. For best results a 12 or 15 inch woofer would work best I think. I use a 10" in my system but I am biamping. Another thing you could do if you receiver does not mind 4 ohm loads is to use a 4 ohm woofer and 8 ohm full range and compensate in the crossover design.

just some ideas.

mike
Old 14th January 2008, 10:48 PM   #8
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

If you are not set up to build a cabinet, have you considered something from a thrift shop or is this something you wish to keep for years to come?
Old 14th January 2008, 11:01 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I just picked up a nice old set of Zenith Allegro speakers, rated at 40 watts. Haven't tried hooking them up, but they just may be what I need for the SX-434. For $5, I'm not going to complain.

I also got a nice older Pioneer turntable to go with my SX-780, and I'll be pairing that up with a bigger set of speakers once I can afford them.
Old 14th January 2008, 11:11 PM   #10
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

If you like Pioneer, look for some HPM series speakers. My brother had HPM-60's and they were quite efficient (Loud).

Hide this!Advertise here!