Quad 11L filter & cabinet upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Glad to hear you're happy with your speakers Matthieu, you've inspired me to have a play with mine!

I want to replace a 25uF cap in my crossover, but I can only find 22uF, could I use this? If so what would the difference would it make to the sound? Would it restrict bass?

Sorry for being a little o/t.

Cheers, Lee.

Don't bother and take it as a chance to mix caps!
My advice:
one ClarityCap SA 22µF and one Mundorf Supreme in // 2.7µF or 3.3µF if needed: that's a very rewarding match most of french DIY's folk said.

edit: I've had constant music today, away or sittin'n enjoy: woww! So much space! Like I'm in in a bigger room! And much more details flow with ease! This is a must be done... more than a clock in a CDP!

Ah, I didn't think of doing it with one good cap and then one uber cap. I was looking at using BG AC's 10uF + 15uF. I wonder which will be the best combination. Also, fitting them in may be a problem.

Just thought I'd attach a pic if anyone's interested. No more o/t I promise.

Regards, Lee.

Attachments

• lgm crossover2.jpg
    lgm crossover2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 348
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Malefoda said:
Hi there,
wanna know if I go for a 5W resistor to replace the 5W instead of a 10? Any improvment in using a 10W instead of OEM 5?

Thanks,
Matthieu

Theoretically better temperature stability (less ppm) for given dissipation. I doubt you will hear an improvement if not of better construction and material quality too (Mills etc). It will certainly not hurt.

1R65 instead of 1R5, too much excited highs, I've tried 1R8 wich killed the highs... 2x 3R3//3R3 are in. A bit less green stuff back panel and damping feet removed and cabinet held on foot with Blu-Tack instead of these round small pieces of rubber : whoowwww !
Bass are strong and well hold, medium is very detailled now!

At a glance:
Filter upgrade: better dynamics, better matter and better details in half top,
damping upgrade : better control of half bottom,
Blu-Tack and OEM rubber feet removed : strong bass

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Malefoda said:
Pro singers enjoying Quad's song!
The guests, dressed in smoking,
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

lovley CDP and integrated !
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Quad are so shiny !
Hi

Can you post some info about the integrated ?

Never saw one of those before.

Nice pics

First I've to say the birds are real savage beasts with their own will!
I don't know why they came in my house and sit on my stuff...

The integrated is a chinese one, performs better than a Advance Acoustic MAP305 (harsh), than a Classic 6.10 (bassless)... and now modded a bit is a real bargain! My former Arcam Aplha One and a Marantz PM44SE has nothing to do here, they are back in their box of shame!

At a glance:
very good bass stock
very good everything modded
bad supply chain, parts changing now and then
bad lid quality, I had to paint the rust...

I really recomand it or the price, none equals it.

Check my thread here:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101011

Can be found here even if I bought it second hand almsot new...
That and my modded CD53 and modded Quad 11L makes a very cheap setup wich performs far away from its' shop competitors!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
sorry to bump this old thread,
I really like the sound of these Quads, but just wanted to try to mod a bit,
so opened up the speakers and put a brace behind the woofer, between the lateral panels, also changed the fiberfill with fiberglass, without changing the amount of damping material..
:confused::(:confused:, the sound has changed, but |I dont like it anymore, also the speakers are quieter 2 or 3db, with one quieter than the other..
should I just remove the brace, or just the fiberglass, or both?

A reflex speaker really doesn't use much wadding, because it constricts the freely moving air that makes the reflex tube work. With the different closed box, you can stuff the cabinet as much as you fancy really.

Just a bit of light fluff usually, rather like the stuff in pillows, and not filling the whole cabinet. What is more effective is rubbery damping on the cabinet sides and top and bottom:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/223174-interesting-read-i-found-lossy-cabinet-designs-harbeth.html#post3234256

Egg crate foam on top of the rubbery pads is OK too with reflex, but only affects the midrange absorption.

Adding bracing is highly dangerous. You can make things worse and push resonances higher. You have to keep cabinet damping separate from standing wave damping in your mind. They are different things.

Keep an eye on speaker polarity when modding too. Small speakers are usually wired both bass and tweeter in positive polarity. Get it wrong, and it sounds wrong.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.