internal/external cables - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th January 2008, 11:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default internal/external cables

Looking for good quality internal and external cables for my project. There will quite a lot that I will need to use as there are 4 cabinets in total that are all over 1 metre tall.

Cant decide if its worth paying a lot more or is basic internal cable fine, will I get what I pay for?
I do like silver cables, for the fact that silver is a better conductor, but does that make it better sound quality. I have been searching the net, but so confused my brain hurts. Do I get some thats £3 a metre or spend (the project is in no hurry so am prepared to wait and save if better cable is worth it) £30 a metre.
Also is it better to use the same outside as inside. I would have thought it was better to keep the same.

help
Old 12th January 2008, 02:04 PM   #2
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th January 2008, 02:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

First, What drivers are you using , and what kind of design is your prject and how it would look like?

FWIW, using 14 to 12 AWG ordinary speaker wires would be just fine. no need or the expensive wires.
Old 12th January 2008, 02:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Graham,
The sound of cable (or not) is something that is debated endlessly, mercilessly and childishly across the world of audio.

I suggest that you experiment and then you will know the answer for yourself.

People cannot ever agree whether it even makes a difference.
Some believe that differences can be heard due to differing capacitance, inductance and resistance.
Others believe that different metals make a difference but don't know why.
Most people believe that the connections are equally or more important.
Some clever people spend thousands on cables.
Some clever people use ordinary mains cable for their speakers.

My opinion? I have heard differences for myself before but I have not tried double blind testing where I couldn't know which cable I was listening to.
The human mind is very easilly influenced by fancy packaging, internet reviews and inflated price tags.

In summary: I cannot positively conclude whether it even matters at all.

Good luck!
Old 12th January 2008, 04:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sonusthree
Graham,
The sound of cable (or not) is something that is debated endlessly, mercilessly and childishly across the world of audio.

I suggest that you experiment and then you will know the answer for yourself.

People cannot ever agree whether it even makes a difference.
Some believe that differences can be heard due to differing capacitance, inductance and resistance.
Others believe that different metals make a difference but don't know why.
Most people believe that the connections are equally or more important.
Some clever people spend thousands on cables.
Some clever people use ordinary mains cable for their speakers.

My opinion? I have heard differences for myself before but I have not tried double blind testing where I couldn't know which cable I was listening to.
The human mind is very easilly influenced by fancy packaging, internet reviews and inflated price tags.

In summary: I cannot positively conclude whether it even matters at all.

Good luck!
thats a very good point, I have only ever had someone give me loads of waffle at a demo then upon listening to the cable I think, well it does sound good, but is that the fact that its a pretty colour and the guy sells it well, probably! I also have never done a blind test. Cheers guys I think that has made up my mind, as no one has said conclusively "yes buy the £40 a metre stuff its amazing"!
I will buy the £2 a metre stuff, had it before and was impressed, probably because it seemed, in looks, size and feel exactly the same as my chord odyssey (£15 a mtre) I had previously.
or was it the same, only without the guff!

Old 13th January 2008, 12:26 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Price up the silver wire you are thinking about, both internal and external, then spend that much more on the drivers or cabinets and wire up with cheap stuff.
Next time you hear a great cable demo, ask to hear the system on cheap wire too!
Old 13th January 2008, 12:27 AM   #7
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by bootsale
Price up the silver wire you are thinking about, both internal and external, then spend that much more on the drivers or cabinets...
Or new music.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 13th January 2008, 01:29 AM   #8
Svante is offline Svante  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I have been wanting to do this test for a long time now: I want to break in at someone that experiences large differences between loudspeaker cables and swap his cables for normal cables with a resonable area without him knowing it.

Then wait and see how long time it takes for him to discover it.

Moahahahaha...
Old 13th January 2008, 01:43 AM   #9
AJinFLA is offline AJinFLA  United States
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Svante
Then wait and see how long time it takes for him to discover it.
That answer is obvious. They will hear it the instant they see it.
As always.

cheers,

AJ
Old 13th January 2008, 03:05 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I guess if you have a very expensive 1watt single ended triode amplifier sensitive to the fazes of the moon, there may be a difference. Read up on this.
http://www.theaudiocritic.com
He has a whole article explaining the swindle in the hi-end audio.
The truth is, in the double blind test, nobody has been able to hear the difference between cables.
Your gage and connections are more important compare to the material. Go with 12 on the woofer and 14 on mid or tweeter and you’ll be fine.

Hide this!Advertise here!