Seas Bifrost - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th January 2008, 09:43 PM   #1
Baard is offline Baard  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Seas Bifrost

Any comments one this 2 way high end speaker kit from Seas?

18cm Nextel coated paper cone woofer and a very expensive new 29mm tweeter.
http://www.mamut.net/dynabel/the_bifrost.pdf
They have chosen a EBS alignment - what does that
mean?
Old 11th January 2008, 09:53 PM   #2
bastek is offline bastek  United States
diyAudio Member

I didn't see any info anywhere yet. I guess there wouldn't be too many risk takers out there, because the drivers are sooo expensive.
Old 11th January 2008, 10:18 PM   #3
gfiandy is offline gfiandy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

EBS - means extended bass shelf.

Basically the box and port are tuned not to give a smooth roll off but to give an initial roll off followed by a shelf followed by a second roll off.

They must have only used a fairly subtle EBS in this alignment as the shelf region is not obvious.

The advantage of this is that you get more low bass, the disadvantage is that this is at the expense of some mid bass.

Regards,
Andrew
Old 14th January 2008, 12:34 PM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I'd say for similar performance and performance / dollar it would struggle against Zaph's : http://www.zaphaudio.com/SR71.html

/sreten.
Old 15th January 2008, 05:56 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

HI
http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/CNO.htm the T29CF001 are sufficent
Old 7th March 2008, 02:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Sorry for the late response.
I made the bifrost, but I adjusted the model to a floorstanding model. Filter remained the same. Only because of the larger inductor resistance on the midbass coils, I also increased the box net volume to 19 liters.
Click the image to open in full size.
I only have them playing verry recently so don't ask me how they sound. My taste can also be different than yours.

Regards,

Tim
Old 7th March 2008, 05:24 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I would not use the Crescendo tweeter - Zaph's test:

"Seas Crescendo ($263) - Seas new flagship tweeter, very expensive. Great build quality and looks, visually matching the Nextel painted woofers. While it does perform a little better than the Millenium, it's still merely average in linear and non-linear distortion."

The $40 SEAS 27TBFC/G is superior to the Excel tweeters. Quite frankly I'm baffled that SEAS would sell ultra expensive tweeters that they must know are not as good as their very affordable "standard" models - they should swap names and price tags with the TBFC/G, but I hope they don't.
Old 8th March 2008, 12:12 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

HI

From Troels :
"The T29CF001 is a magnificent tweeter. The Sonomex cone material appears to be a good compromise between hard domes and soft domes. The Sonomex is significantly more rigid compared to classic silk domes and the frequency response should reach up to 30 kHz according to SEAS measurements. My CLIO system only goes to 22 kHz."

and 001vs002:

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/CNO.htm
Old 8th March 2008, 01:19 PM   #9
peter_m is offline peter_m  Canada
diyAudio Member

From what I can see based on Zaph's measurements of the drivers, this system really doesn't perform much better then the SR-71. Is it worth spending 3x or 4x the price of the SR-71?

Ref: http://zaphaudio.com/6.5test/compare.html and http://zaphaudio.com/tweetermishmash/compare.html
Old 8th March 2008, 01:59 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Well, measurements are something, listening test totally different story. If you want to know which drivers suit your needs more, buy the drivers for Zaph SR71 and Troels CNO. Test both designs in cheap enclosure and with cheap crossover components and you will find what you prefer more.

I built CNO and I am very satisfied, but have not build the SR71 so no comments on this design.

Hide this!Advertise here!