Seas Bifrost

EBS - means extended bass shelf.

Basically the box and port are tuned not to give a smooth roll off but to give an initial roll off followed by a shelf followed by a second roll off.

They must have only used a fairly subtle EBS in this alignment as the shelf region is not obvious.

The advantage of this is that you get more low bass, the disadvantage is that this is at the expense of some mid bass.

Regards,
Andrew

Sorry for the late response.
I made the bifrost, but I adjusted the model to a floorstanding model. Filter remained the same. Only because of the larger inductor resistance on the midbass coils, I also increased the box net volume to 19 liters.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I only have them playing verry recently so don't ask me how they sound. My taste can also be different than yours.

Regards,

Tim

I would not use the Crescendo tweeter - Zaph's test:

"Seas Crescendo ($263) - Seas new flagship tweeter, very expensive. Great build quality and looks, visually matching the Nextel painted woofers. While it does perform a little better than the Millenium, it's still merely average in linear and non-linear distortion."

The $40 SEAS 27TBFC/G is superior to the Excel tweeters. Quite frankly I'm baffled that SEAS would sell ultra expensive tweeters that they must know are not as good as their very affordable "standard" models - they should swap names and price tags with the TBFC/G, but I hope they don't.

Well, measurements are something, listening test totally different story. If you want to know which drivers suit your needs more, buy the drivers for Zaph SR71 and Troels CNO. Test both designs in cheap enclosure and with cheap crossover components and you will find what you prefer more. :)

I built CNO and I am very satisfied, but have not build the SR71 so no comments on this design.

Just wanted to add that the CNO version has a higher x-over frequency. It helps the tweeter with it's distortion levels at lower frequencies... on the other hand, the increased x-over frequency approaches the woofer's break-up frequency... it's a tough trade.

A listening test between the CNO and the original Bifrost as the drivers are the same and the x-over parts are relatively inexpensive except for the largest inductor which can be expensive depending on what type you choose.

PS: In my previous post I might have been too harsh on the Bifrost's woofer, I really meant to say it was a little better but in my opinion not enough to justify the price.

Some more pictures.

Furthermore some comments on the cost. At a certain level the relation between price and performance is not justified anymore. And the discussions are just a matter of taste. I also bought these units for the looks. And I'm a happy man with this system.
Everybody has to make out for themselfes if they want to spend the money for these units.

greetz,

Tim