Aurum Cantus + PHL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Some ideas

Not the exact drivers, but similar:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11858&highlight=

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21523&highlight=

Might Andre at e-speakers or Orca, have a design?

My suggestions:
Cross the big Aurum Cantus to the PHL 3450 @ 1.8 - 2 kHz, depending on steepness of the XO slope, and how loud you want to play. Maybe LR4 at 1.8 kHz

(If it’s not to be mounted in a dipole) model the PHL 3450’s low end in Unibox, but likely cross the PHL 3450s to the 4530s @ between 150 – 300 Hz, say 250-300 Hz.

hope this helps

Cheers

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Hi Vincent,

I've never seen a project posted for that combination of drivers but that's not to say there isn't one out there somewhere. Designs for PHL drivers are relatively thin on the ground compared to other driver manufacturers such as Scanspeak and Seas etc.

If you've got a bit of design software like speaker workshop and a basic measurement setup then you could design your own. All the members on here are a helpful bunch so post any data you have captured with the drivers mounted in their final cabinets and we'll try to give some suggestions.

Alternatively you might want to seek out places such as Madisound or Wilmslow Audio who'll design you a crossover for a small charge. It probably won't be as good as if you measured all your own drivers in cabinet because they tend to use generic data and don't have the benefit of tweaking out the sound through listening.

You'd have yourself quite a dynamic alignment with those aforementioned drivers (100dB+)! Although having never heard one myself or even dissected the crossover, I've read a few blogs that mention designs using 10" drivers up to 2khz, so for some it can work and produce pleasing results. With all that in mind, I'm curious about the designers solution to power response matching at the crossover point. A 10" should exhibit lobing artifacts, while a ribbon would be omnidirectional at the same crossover point...quite the conundrum if one wishes for a uniform reverberant field and power response.

ShinOBIWAN said:

The reply wasn't aimed at you but did use your text to help point out another option for the original poster.

BTW I wouldn't use a compression driver for the same over-generalised reasons. :p

It wasn't a generalized reason, I used the best AC ribbon with the same mid and it was bad. What compression driver have you used with the 3450/1 PHL?

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Magnetar said:
It wasn't a generalized reason, I used the best AC ribbon with the same mid and it was bad.

Ah you mentioned "I'm done with ribbons" which I mistook for the generalisation. Its clear to me now what you really meant was "I'm done with AC ribbons" in this case.

What compression driver have you used with the 3450/1 PHL?

I haven't. I was just offering another ribbon option for Telya.

diyAudio Member
Joined 2004
Ddd_rus said:
ShinOBIWAN

Could you please provide more info on RAAL Proline?

This product isn't released yet but from what I've heard it'll be a pro audio orientated driver with higher efficiency and more durability. That's the extent of my knowledge I'm afraid. The interesting thing is that it will be one of RAAL 'statement' products so I'd have high hopes for this considering the lowly 140-15d is already a great driver.

Your best off contacting Alex at RAAL and see if he has any extra information to give out at this time.

http://www.raalribbon.com/contact.htm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.