Most Recommended books - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2008, 06:27 PM   #1
jdlech is offline jdlech  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Most Recommended books

I just received a Barnes & Noble $25 gift certificate, and I'm thinking on a book that discusses testing as much as design. And it really does not bother me to spend over $25 - so long as it's not over $100 USD.

Recommendations?
Old 8th January 2008, 06:45 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Joe d'Appolito's "Testing Loudspeakers."
Old 8th January 2008, 06:46 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
Joe d'Appolito's "Testing Loudspeakers."

excellent, but probably a good second book
Old 5th April 2008, 04:17 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hey...anyone got any recommendations for a more in depth description of loudspeaker design. I've read the "Loudspeaker Cookbook" and bits & pieces of "Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook". They seem to give quite a qualitative description of loudspeaker design so i was wondering if there are any other books that give a more thorough description of loudspeakers.

I'm a 3rd year Physics student so I'm not scared of any Maths equations. :P
Old 5th April 2008, 04:26 PM   #5
gareth is offline gareth  Wales
diyAudio Member

Hi,
Gilbert Briggs (Wharfedale) loudspeaker design book is supposed to be excellent.
Thanks,
Gareth
Old 6th April 2008, 04:37 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gareth
Hi,
Gilbert Briggs (Wharfedale) loudspeaker design book is supposed to be excellent.
Thanks,
Gareth
Have you seen this thread?

Loudspeaker book
Old 6th April 2008, 11:17 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Hey,

jdlech: the books TheMaster620 read are really good and will give you an fairly good understanding of the subject. I only have the 6th edition of Loudspeaker Cookbook and have not had a change to see the improvements on the 7th edition so cannot comment on that. If anyone has, I would be interested to know what it adds.

TheMaster620: If you want a more in-depth analysis I would recommend Leach, M., 2003. Introduction to Electroacoustics & Audio Amplifier Design. 3rd ed. For additional information but more in the style of Loudspeaker and headphone handbook, I would recommend the two following: Eargle, J., 2003. Loudspeaker Handbook. 2nd ed. & Colloms, M., 2005. High Performance Loudspeakers.
Obviously to cover the basics from a theoretical point of view there is Fundamental of Acoustics by Kinsley....
Finally i would say that it is always worth reading some AES articles (old/new) from Small, Thiele, Geddes, Olson, Keele...

Hope this helps,
Old 6th April 2008, 01:27 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by falcott

Have you seen this thread?

Loudspeaker book
Hi,
So it seems that it is not as good as I have heard then, or maybe it is. I thought it may be worth a try as there may be some fundamentals which have not changed since it was written.
I have Vance Dickasons Loudspeaker cookbooks here at home, which are really interesting and helpful at the same time. I use the 2nd and 5th edition of the cookbooks and it seems there are some mathematical discrepencies between the two, I haven't used them for a while so I can't remember exactly what. Also the later book contains information on using computer software to help you on your way.
Thanks
Gareth
Old 6th April 2008, 01:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheMaster620
Hey...anyone got any recommendations for a more in depth description of loudspeaker design. I've read the "Loudspeaker Cookbook" and bits & pieces of "Loudspeaker and Headphone Handbook". They seem to give quite a qualitative description of loudspeaker design so i was wondering if there are any other books that give a more thorough description of loudspeakers.

I'm a 3rd year Physics student so I'm not scared of any Maths equations. :P

Hi,
What about Thiele and Small ? Are there any of their publications available?
Thanks
Gareth
Old 6th April 2008, 03:58 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yep, Thiele and Small articles are very interesting.

If you are into vented enclosures:

Small, R., 1973. Vented-Box Loudspeaker Systems Part I: Small-Signal Analysis. Journal of the Audio Engineering Society. Vol. 21, No. 5, May. pp. 363-372.

Small, R., 1973. Vented-Box Loudspeaker Systems Part II: Large-Signal Analysis. Journal of the Audio Engineering Society. Vol. 21, No. 6, July/August. pp. 438-444.

Small, R., 1973. Vented-Box Loudspeaker Systems Part III: Synthesis. Journal of the Audio Engineering Society. Vol. 21, No. 7, September. pp. 549-554.

Small, R., 1973. Vented-Box Loudspeaker Systems Part IV: Appendices. Journal of the Audio Engineering Society. Vol. 21, No. 8, May. pp. 635-639.

Thiele, N., 1971. Loudspeakers in Vented Boxes: Part I. Journal of the Audio Engineering Society. Vol. 19, No. 5, May. pp. 382-392.

Thiele, N., 1971. Loudspeakers in Vented Boxes: Part II. Journal of the Audio Engineering Society. Vol. 19, No. 6, June. pp. 471-483.

Thiele, N., 2001. Phase Considerations in Loudspeaker Systems. Audio Engineering Society Convention Paper. Convention 110, Preprint 5307, 12-15 May.

If you are going to read Thiele's paper I would read the following as Keele spotted an error in Thiele's calculations:

Keele, D., 1973. Sensitivity of Thiele’s Vented Loudspeaker Enclosure Alignments to Parameter Variations. Journal of the Audio Engineering Society. Vol. 21, No. 4, March. pp. 246-255.

Another other one from Small is very good:

Small, R., 1971. Direct Radiator Loudspeaker System Analysis. IEEE Transactions on Audio and Electroacoustics. Vol. 19, No. 4, December. pp. 269-281.

Enjoy :

legris00

Hide this!Advertise here!