Baffle Response Question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, so I've played with Tolvan's Edge for a small while. I understand that I need to incorporate the baffle step into my response curves. But there's still something need to know.

Does anyone have any experience with inset baffles? You know how some mfg might have a half inch of trim around the front of their speaker and have an inch thick dust cover set inside.

The way vintage Cerwin Vega's used to do it...

Cerwin-Vega_D-3_Stereo_Speakers_web2.jpg

I would like to know their general acoustic behavior.

The reason being is this: I noticed that the larger my baffle is, the lower the frequency of the highest point. I could use this. Right now, the baffle dimentions I want have a maximum gain of 6db at about 450hz.

I'm looking for some trick or technique that will bring this center down to 300 without actually increasing the baffle size or further massaging the crossover. Perhaps someone knows how to make it acoustically look bigger than it really is. Has anyone done any experiments with various surfaces, like corrugation and the like?

If there's a way, then I can eliminate the mid woofer from my designs entrely. This would simplify things immensely.

Any ideas?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.