Hemp Acoustics New Lineup for '08

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just stumbled upon these on the e-speaker website. The Extremis lives on? CSS SDX7 still looks way better IMHO.

No actual hemp by the looks. 5.25, 6.5, 8 & 10" designs based around XBL (Not XBL^2?) motor topology. 10" Sub looks the most interesting out of the lot for me. Should be interesting when we get the measurements and see how well they do go.

No specifications I can find on the net, check out the picture from below....

http://www.e-speakers.com/Presenting-Hemp-2008.jpg

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
sfreak said:
The Extremis lives on? CSS SDX7 still looks way better IMHO.

AFAIC the SDX7 is the spiritual successor to the Extremis.

Just this afternoon we were excercising our 1st SDX7 proto-woofer (14 litre sealed). What this can do is impressive -- and that with just a real cheap plate amp. Of course i can never leave well enuff along and i have a 2nd proto of a modded* SDX7 to install tomorrow. That the SDX7 works so well in a (small) sealed box (and an even smaller aperiodic box), and the XBL2 gives the latitude for a bit of boost makes it a great woofer to work with.

*(i'm not really happy with the noise the carbon fibre strands make, but it seems there is a pretty easy fix for that. And i strongly suspect that without the strength to mass ratio of the CF we wouldn't have the other positive attributes of this driver.)

dave

Well there you go. Never did know where Dan Wiggins ended up.

I should hopefully get around to playing with the SDX7s in the coming weeks. Dave, what is the difference in sound regarding the carbon fibre, and say a paper woofer? Yet to hook one up and give it a go.

And going by the ADI site, looks like the Extremis is still around? Plus that Horizon 100 is an interesting looking midrange. Looks like a shallow mount and all.

Awesome. I wonder what that BOM 12 could do? :D
..Might make for an interesting high output setup.
Looks like it might handle everything above the very lowest octaves, all the way up to a high-end compression driver, no?
Anyway, I'm glad to see that Mr. Wiggins is still doing his thing.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
sfreak said:
Dave, what is the difference in sound regarding the carbon fibre, and say a paper woofer?

Been a long time since i heard an extremis, and i'm not done playing with the SDX7 yet so i'll rerserve judgement. Also need a better amp on these (we got one of the Keiga 2.1s to try out. Cab'y really recommend them (at least the sat amps)

And going by the ADI site, looks like the Extremis is still around?

Only if Dan changed his mind and got more made -- and last i heard he was more interested in staying a consultant.

dave

I am eagerly awaiting Dave's modifications to the SDX7 (which was not designed by Mr Wiggins nor built by TangBand). Mr Wiggins is, however, currently doing design work for me and the SDX10 will ship in late February. Other new product samples are being discussed this week at CES and there are 6 more products being considered over the next few months. These include a couple of 8", a new PR, an XBL^2 tweeter, a plate amp, etc. There is also the RoHS compliant version of the WR125ST which will have the new open basket used on the FR125SR.

Stay tuned.

Bob

I am staying tuned Bob. Pity we lack the electronic shows over here in Australia. But hey, one day.

The new WR125ST(R?), will that still be truncated frame, 16 ohm etc? 8" drivers... Couple hey, one high efficiency and other high output? And XBL^2 tweeter... Only tweeter with 25mm Xmax :clown:

Also Dave, what are you doing in regards to modifying the SDX7? Some sort of a cone treatment etc?

The SDX10, SD12 (SDX12 when released) and SDX15 use the same frame and while it may have started out belonging to JBL or someone else it is now available.

The 16 ohm WR125STR will continue with the truncated frame. Yes, one of the 8" is higher efficiency, target 94dB. Can't talk about anything else.

Bob

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
sfreak said:
what are you doing in regards to modifying the SDX7? Some sort of a cone treatment etc?

Yes. Cone treatment to reduce the "rustle" of the carbon fibres, then EnABL on top. The pre-treatment also helps make the EnABL application easier (& hopefully more effective). I have the current mule ready to go in our current test woofer, but it may take the next test box (with external amp connections to really test it as the current amp is getting in the way a bit). We have a couple other plate amps, and Bob is sending some external XO & EQ tools so we can also try "regular" amps out.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.