my dorm audio project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2003, 12:29 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default my dorm audio project

ok, i got the wood and the speakers. i tested the sheilded drivers for a magnetic feild. the tweeters aren't completely sheilded, and i was somewhat concerend because they WILL be mounted next to a computer and a computer monitor.

next i drop the peice of metal on one of my 6.5" midwoofers. this punced a very small line on the dustcap. i plan to use a very minute amount of black (to match the cone) silicon. I've read that silicon vapors are bad for speakers, so i plan to fan cool the cone while the silicon dries.

ok, next problem. the tweeter has a small hole in the magnet area, and i assume it is supposed to. it is a 1 1/8 tang band tweeter as found at parts express.

so i was wondering if i should put the tweeter in the same box as the 6.5" speaker. i could see how it would be a bad idea. so i thought of a solution, build a seperate box for the tweeters... this means thoguh, that the tweeters would be above ear level and the 6.5" speakers would either be above ear level or be a good distance from the tweeter. not an idea situation. also, the box for the 6.5 speakers cannot be made any smaller, so i can't put a seperate sectioned off airspace inside it.

on the plus side i'm almost done with the subwoofer box.
Old 23rd February 2003, 07:19 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

bump?

do i need a seperate section of the box for my tweeters?
Old 23rd February 2003, 08:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Chris

Try blowing Gently into the hole at the back of your tweeter, if the dome moves then you can't mount it in the same box as the mid/bass driver.

You could just mount it on a flat piece of mdf on top of the box, it doesn't need an enclosure as such.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?

Hide this!Advertise here!