my dorm audio project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok, i got the wood and the speakers. i tested the sheilded drivers for a magnetic feild. the tweeters aren't completely sheilded, and i was somewhat concerend because they WILL be mounted next to a computer and a computer monitor.

next i drop the peice of metal on one of my 6.5" midwoofers. this punced a very small line on the dustcap. i plan to use a very minute amount of black (to match the cone) silicon. I've read that silicon vapors are bad for speakers, so i plan to fan cool the cone while the silicon dries.

ok, next problem. the tweeter has a small hole in the magnet area, and i assume it is supposed to. it is a 1 1/8 tang band tweeter as found at parts express.

so i was wondering if i should put the tweeter in the same box as the 6.5" speaker. i could see how it would be a bad idea. so i thought of a solution, build a seperate box for the tweeters... this means thoguh, that the tweeters would be above ear level and the 6.5" speakers would either be above ear level or be a good distance from the tweeter. not an idea situation. also, the box for the 6.5 speakers cannot be made any smaller, so i can't put a seperate sectioned off airspace inside it.

on the plus side i'm almost done with the subwoofer box.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Chris

Try blowing Gently into the hole at the back of your tweeter, if the dome moves then you can't mount it in the same box as the mid/bass driver.

You could just mount it on a flat piece of mdf on top of the box, it doesn't need an enclosure as such.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.