Inexpensive 1'' driver search

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all. I am trying to make the best of a bad situation. I have some crappy trapezoid 15''/horn cabinets that are in need of HF drivers. I think the existing crossovers-"crossover" at 2000hz. The 15's go from 40 to 4500hz.

I realize that quality and cheap are two words that you don't find together often. I have been looking at Selenium D210ti's and others in that price range. Do you have a recommendation?

Some I have seen in that range are Selenium, Pyle (cannot find one single user review) P-Audio, and Peavey. Your help is greatly appreciated.

If you want to use any of the existing components, you'll likely need to have plenty of info regarding the original compression drivers, as well as the existing crossovers, in order to end up with anything near successful. Specs on the woofer might help as well. Maybe some photos of this stuff would be helpful too?

I bought 2 Madison MAP 15's from the authorized dealer/distributor. These were described as "practically brand new" and only used once. That ain't what I recieved!

One cabinet had a broken horn lens that was installed that way. The compression driver was literally hanging on the horn. Everytime you move the box you could hear a "bump." Someone used machine srews that were the wrong thread and about 1/4'' too long.

The other cabinet had a completely different horn with a Goldwood driver installed. This cabinet had a screw-on driver, the other is a bolt-on. The 15'' speaker had a hole in the accordion material.

The boxes themselves were ok. I did not want to go through the hassle of packing and shipping them back. I filed a claim and got most of my money back. With that I bought some Warehouse Speakers 15's and now I am going to replace the HF drivers. At the moment I don't have a budget for high end units. That's what I mean by making the best of a bad situation.

These will be used for small venues with most vocals running through them.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I can vouch for the Selenium D210ti. Good driver at a good price. Just figure out which horn you want, the choice is large.

If your crossover is at 2K, then no problem. Even one of the Dayton waveguides should work.

Some of the other driver mentioned may be good, too. But I've not heard them.

RCA Victim, would you care to talk a little about that 1188 piezo you linked? I'm eyeing that to go with a 12-inch in a 2-way crossed at 2 khz as a cheap and loud setup. I'm planning to come up with a cross circuit for the piezo, but haven't done it yet. I don't know how to choose a horn appropriate for the piezo.

If you know any more about the piezo than what's on the PE page I'd like to hear it. I understand that the motorola unit it's a clone of can sound pretty good, but I don't know how the goldwood would compare. Comments on practical use of, x-over design, horn selection, sound quality would all be welcome, if you know about this piezo. Thanks!

Swampgas - i dunno if you are already aware, but x-over for a piezo is different than for a regular driver. It doesn't sound too difficult once you find the info on it, but if you are thinking of replacing one with another it's something to be aware of.

- A

From the description on the PE page.

* Similar to KSN1188A * Built in transformer circuit for increased output and power handling
* Power handling: 60 watts RMS/120 watts max * Frequency response: 1,500-20,000 Hz * SPL: 102 dB 2.83V/1m * Mounts to any 1-3/8"-18 TPI horn * Dimensions: Diameter: 4", Depth: 2-1/2

You will note that this particular driver has a built in xfmer. That means unlike basic piezo drivers it does not look merely like a capacitor which is the cause of difficulty and confusion regarding suitable crossover circuits, but a real DC path ith an R impedance value.

There was one gleaming revue from a DJ who had smoked his fair share of more expensive dynamic HF horn drivers and will no more thanx to the availability of this piezo driver.

I think for the application, given the low $10 cost of this driver this is a no-brainer. Buy a pair and try `em out!

Do not categorically discount piezo tweeters. I had used the low cost dollar piezos here in my home system with some basic TLC and modification (paint cone with shellac, mush a pea sized volume of black PE speaker sealer caulking rope onto the back of the piezo motor disc to give it `launching mass`and stuff a bit of cotton batton into the chamber behind the diaphragm) with truly amazing results! On one very good developmental speaker system swapping them out for expensive 6 inch true ribbons did not yield an instant in-my-face improvement and a HF character of the speaker system which I rather enjoyed had disappeared.

ah, thank you very much!

I thought that the built in circuit was just a series resistor for HF stability and maybe some sort of over-power protection. I would have gone about things all wrong with it. :whazzat:

I also imagine tweaks perhaps helping the driver out, but having taken apart neither a compression driver nor a piezo in the past I'll have to make some sense of the unit before I start breaking stuff... but I can imagine enable spots on that doojie stickin out of the front of it... not that I've enabled anything yet.

And I'll have to pick a horn. I'm thinking of this one: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=264-318 as a small, cheap unit that gets down to low freq. But then the macho aspect of a larger unit like the 12-inch waveguide http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=270-312 is sometimes attractive...

If I ever want to build a scale model of a interplanetary space cruiser I know where to purchase the engine nancelles! ;) Selenium!

The round one is probably not well suited for portable PA work. I would consider it more suitable in a home environment due to the beaming characteristic. It will make a sweet spot. I wish this was available in much larger sizes than 12 inches with price graduated accordingly!!!!!

Well, it would be for home listening for me. But the waveguide claims 75 degrees coverage? I didn't think that was particularly small, but maybe that's just coming from my home-audio mentality.

And, come to think of it, with the transformer in the piezo, does one still need to avoid use of an inductor in the x-over? Or is the piezo-inductor resonance suitably damped?

Thanks for your help with my issues, RCA-V

Thanks for the replies. As far as piezos, I have not even looked into them (figuring they would stink.) At that price, I can afford to experiment some. The horns on these cabinets are mismatched. The only thing in common is they are 11''x11''. I would have to find something that would fit the existing holes.

Piezos, hmmmmm..........

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.