bowing plywood - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2007, 06:47 PM   #1
crs1 is offline crs1  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to crs1
Default bowing plywood

just a quick ? i know i can bend 1/4 inch plywood using steam but is it possible to do the same with 3/4 inch oak plywood? or would it be better to use 1/4 and then cover it with 3/4 inch of fiberglass being i am not going to stain the cabs they are going to be painted.
Old 27th December 2007, 07:52 PM   #2
Account disabled at member's request

Default Re: bowing plywood

Quote:
Originally posted by crs1
just a quick ? i know i can bend 1/4 inch plywood using steam but is it possible to do the same with 3/4 inch oak plywood? or would it be better to use 1/4 and then cover it with 3/4 inch of fiberglass being i am not going to stain the cabs they are going to be painted.

Hi,
Fairly tough to bend any 3/4" material. How much of a bend are you looking for?
As any material bends, stresses are set up - on the outside of the bend, you have tension (tendency to tear the material as if to pull it apart). On the inside of the bend you have compression (it wants to crumple like accordion folds)

You could make kerf cuts to get a tight radius, but this can wind up looking "segmented". Another option is to use 3 layers of 1/4" gluing these together. Using hardboard ("Masonite") can be a lot easier.
3/4" of fiberglass sounds like too much work and expense, but if you want an extremely smooth finish, it would pay off in the end.

Good luck.
Old 27th December 2007, 08:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I totally agree with John.

Bend and glue 3 or 4 pieces of 1/4 ply. Make a few test pieces first, use radii equal to and less than the desired one, to see how they relax. That way, you do not have to force the final product.

Cheers, John
Old 27th December 2007, 09:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

Thirded.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 27th December 2007, 10:16 PM   #5
crs1 is offline crs1  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to crs1
Default Re: Re: bowing plywood

Quote:
Originally posted by MJL21193

Hi,
Fairly tough to bend any 3/4" material. How much of a bend are you looking for?
As any material bends, stresses are set up - on the outside of the bend, you have tension (tendency to tear the material as if to pull it apart). On the inside of the bend you have compression (it wants to crumple like accordion folds)

You could make kerf cuts to get a tight radius, but this can wind up looking "segmented". Another option is to use 3 layers of 1/4" gluing these together. Using hardboard ("Masonite") can be a lot easier.
3/4" of fiberglass sounds like too much work and expense, but if you want an extremely smooth finish, it would pay off in the end.

Good luck.
i think i am going more to the fiberglass because i just talked to a good friend of mine and last month he just got a fiberglass spray setup to do boat halls and he said if i install his car stereo he will hook me up if i make the mold and ihave the gel coat so thank you for your help on this matter

Hide this!Advertise here!