Speaker Box Damping - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2007, 08:39 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Couple of secret prescriptions from Doctor Wavebourn:
1. Linoleum glued by "liquid nails" for surfaces,
2. Memory foam for a volume.
Old 26th December 2007, 05:35 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

What is memory foam?
Old 26th December 2007, 09:06 PM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

No one has yet covered off a very important consideration wrt damping the airspace inside a box... how you approach it depends on what kind of enclosure it is.

You deal with a sealed box differently than a bass reflex, A horn has little or no damping, and in a transmission line the damping is a very critical part of the design.

dave
Old 26th December 2007, 10:26 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

The boxes I was asking about are bass reflex ported.
Old 26th December 2007, 10:32 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10
No one has yet covered off a very important consideration wrt damping the airspace inside a box... how you approach it depends on what kind of enclosure it is.
I think I did. Obliquely.
Old 27th December 2007, 03:58 AM   #16
okk is offline okk  China
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb design for Box Damping

design for Box Damping
we can use some software to calculate the Box Damping.

this one is very good:
LEAP-5 / EnclosureShop - DEMO

you can download it at:
http://www.linearx.com/downloads/DownloadDemosTop.htm
Old 27th December 2007, 07:07 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

That software is really cool, will give me something to play around with since I don't know the T/S specs for those drivers. Any feel for how much of a difference getting the damping/stuffing issues corrected will make on the sound quality of the boxes?
Old 28th December 2007, 02:16 AM   #18
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fantfool
That software is really cool, will give me something to play around with since I don't know the T/S specs for those drivers. Any feel for how much of a difference getting the damping/stuffing issues corrected will make on the sound quality of the boxes?

Fant,
It's fortunate that I looked at this thread tonight, as the prior research on this is somewhat chaotic and ill-defined.

However, the Research Scientists working at Honest Olson's Ultra-Fi Audio Emporium and Laundromat have found when the damping/stuffing issues are corrected you will gain a 37.263% increase in clarity, a 26.74% improvement in definition and an overall 68.92% increase in Macro-detail.

Please be aware that with the new alignment parameters the drivers will require 230.2 hours before "enclosure/driver reorientation" is accomplished, although you will achieve 72.4% of the cited improvements within the first 27.65 hours.
All these calculations are based on correct assumptions, if you contemplate use of incorrect assumptions, subtract 10.54% from the above figures.

Best Regards,
Terry Olson
CEO and Chief Research Scientist of
Honest Olson's Ultra-Fi Audio Emporium and Laundromat
Old 28th December 2007, 02:53 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally posted by fantfool
What is memory foam?
The latest fashion in mattress design.
Old 28th December 2007, 06:07 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Getting it right will not be a great turning point in your system. There will be subtle improvements. So if the system is "boomy" and underdamped the end result should be a "dryer" bass and less fatigueing. This thread has reminded me of a "test" from much earlier in the peace. It was known as the "Click/bong test". It involved wiring a 1.5volt dry cell across the bass unit/woofer. Close the circuit. If it went "Bong" the system was underdamped and if it "clicked" it was okay. Sounds corny but it lends a vaguely scientific note to a fairly subjective field.
You can measure impedence curves and the actual SPL of the system but having done that you still have to live with it and experience and science have a complicated "Dance" going at the bass end. For instance in theory a maximally flat system with Q of 0.7 when measured anechoically seems to be ideal in theory. But in a "normal" domestic setting these parameters invariably make the sound far to bass heavy. Collums in his book on High Performance Speakers points out that a theoretically well designed 4th order reflex unit with a wider bandwithd than a 2nd order sealed box will often produce less subjective bass..........

Good luck.....Jonathan

I suggest it is often a case of try it and see. That's half the fun of it. You can get your "current life partner" involved in the auditions which will ease the Wife Approval Factor etc...

I don't think this forum will really pre-empt all issues and solve all problems for this sort of qestion....

Hide this!Advertise here!