New version of Basta! released.

ashok said:
Svante,
Thank you for the Christmas present .
Do we need to uninstall the older version before installing the new version ?
Will the previous access code work on the new install ?
Thanks.

Well, Basta! does not have an installation procedure (it is just the exe file) så you can do whichever you like. If you run two versions in parallel it will nag you a bit about file associations when you switch between the versions, but otherwise they work in parallel. I don't see much use in keeping the old version, though.

Licensed users can use their old serial number for this version as well. In fact, they don't even have to find it, it is already in the computer.

panomaniac said:
Thanks Svante! A very nice Christmas present, indeed.

LOL! That's such a great Svenska typo. :D (så=so)
Love it....

Oops... :)

jdlech said:
Thanks for the heads up. I'm already looking it over and find some of the details daunting for this noob. But other than the learning curve, it looks like it's worth €25.

Yes, people tell me all the time it is too cheap, but I'll go on like this for a while.

It is interesting what you say about the learning curve, I had always thought it was rather simple to use. But of course as I put more stuff into it, there will be more things to fill in and it might not be so simple any more. It is a hard balance to keep between useability and features. And I am probably the worst person to ask about the learning curve, since I have been with the program from the start. :D

Let's just say it took a few minutes for this moron to find the online users guide. I'm sure it's no problem right now, but it eventually might be better off downloaded and viewed offline (and updated along with the program). As it stands, I've some reading to do before I can play with it much.

I'm used to digging right into most programs and intuitively getting the idea within minutes. But this one sent me diving for the help menu.

80 drivers in the database? Does the full program have more? Too bad you can't just rip off Harris Tech Audio's database . BTW, the online manual does not have one instance of the words 'online' or 'database' in it. Why no mention?

Also, when I downloaded a speaker's specs, I was not expecting it to spawn a new instance of the program. That's a good idea, but it freaked me out a bit the first time. Then I downloaded the database and noticed loading a driver from the database on the local drive does not spawn a new instance. Kinda strange behavior.

jdlech said:
Let's just say it took a few minutes for this moron to find the online users guide. I'm sure it's no problem right now, but it eventually might be better off downloaded and viewed offline (and updated along with the program). As it stands, I've some reading to do before I can play with it much.

I'm used to digging right into most programs and intuitively getting the idea within minutes. But this one sent me diving for the help menu.

80 drivers in the database? Does the full program have more? Too bad you can't just rip off Harris Tech Audio's database . BTW, the online manual does not have one instance of the words 'online' or 'database' in it. Why no mention?

Also, when I downloaded a speaker's specs, I was not expecting it to spawn a new instance of the program. That's a good idea, but it freaked me out a bit the first time. Then I downloaded the database and noticed loading a driver from the database on the local drive does not spawn a new instance. Kinda strange behavior.

Ok, good feedback. The database is not large, I agree. Frankly, the focus has not been to make a complete database, I have just added drivers as I have stumbled across them. After all it is not very hard to enter the T/S parameters of a driver.

One question, would you prefer an install script like most software today has, or is the standalone exe better? With an install script it would be easier to install local copies of the manual and database.

Actually, I like the idea of being able to just run it from whatever directory I decide. Perhaps if there were a settings menu where once could type in the location of the manual and database files, that would provide the best of both worlds. Even if both were in subdirectories and the program used relative path instead of an absolute path as a default, one could move the whole thing anywhere and it would still work like a single exe.

I usually consider it better not to be messing with the windows registry. Sometimes I just want to pick it up and move it somewhere else once I get to know the program. Registry settings typically prevent that. So I suggest avoiding the typical full blown installation.

I would consider making it a self extracting zip file if there is to be one or more subdirectories. And then include the database and manual in the update check. It might save on bandwidth until there's an update. Otherwise, it's fine just as it stands - just a bit of unexpected behavior in response to unusual input.

In "the edge" program, I accidentally typed in 400 something in the speaker source density field and locked up the program. The three fingered salute got me out of that one. So maybe if you made it a little more knucklehead tolerant....

I'm starting to get a feel for it. Purchase price already submitted.:D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Svante said:
One question, would you prefer an install script like most software today has, or is the standalone exe better?

Please keep it as a simple exe. I have the utmost respect for programs that do not have to be installed, they just run. There are whole websites dedicated to promoting programs like that.

And - I agree with all of JD's ideas above.

panomaniac said:

Please keep it as a simple exe. I have the utmost respect for programs that do not have to be installed, they just run. There are whole websites dedicated to promoting programs like that.

Yes, but they leave a whole bunch of junk in the registry when you decide to delete them. A simple installer can be setup to remove all (or most) of the registry entries the program created.

Just do a search in reg edit for "Tolvan" after you run it once and you will see what I mean. Sure, it can be deleted manually, but with as often as I install/uninstall things it's nice to be able to just click "uninstall".

Svante, you should really encrypt the registration process of your program. It took all of about 30 seconds and a single byte change in the registry for full operation. Any 5th grader can figure it out. Just a heads-up.

jdlech said:
Actually, I like the idea of being able to just run it from whatever directory I decide. Perhaps if there were a settings menu where once could type in the location of the manual and database files, that would provide the best of both worlds. Even if both were in subdirectories and the program used relative path instead of an absolute path as a default, one could move the whole thing anywhere and it would still work like a single exe.

I usually consider it better not to be messing with the windows registry. Sometimes I just want to pick it up and move it somewhere else once I get to know the program. Registry settings typically prevent that. So I suggest avoiding the typical full blown installation.

I would consider making it a self extracting zip file if there is to be one or more subdirectories. And then include the database and manual in the update check. It might save on bandwidth until there's an update. Otherwise, it's fine just as it stands - just a bit of unexpected behavior in response to unusual input.

In "the edge" program, I accidentally typed in 400 something in the speaker source density field and locked up the program. The three fingered salute got me out of that one. So maybe if you made it a little more knucklehead tolerant....

I'm starting to get a feel for it. Purchase price already submitted.:D

Yes, I saw that, thank you. I'll consider the zip version, it would probably be good to have at least the documentation locally.

panomaniac said:

Yes, I am also pretty fond of avoiding installation. This means that one can actually run the software without being an administrator. That must be good for the security.

theAnonymous1 said:

Yes, but they leave a whole bunch of junk in the registry when you decide to delete them. A simple installer can be setup to remove all (or most) of the registry entries the program created.

Just do a search in reg edit for "Tolvan" after you run it once and you will see what I mean. Sure, it can be deleted manually, but with as often as I install/unistall things it's nice to be able to just click "uninstall".

Yes, the programs save things in the registry. And they will be left there if the exe is deleted. I know this is a bit of a pain, especially if many programs do like this. The information doesn't do any harm, and it definitely does NOT start any RAM consuming software at login (software that does that is a real pain). Anyway, as you say it can be deleted manually and actually software with an uninstall feature are not guaranteed to remove everything either.

If this is ok, I'd like to announce that there is a new version of the Basta! loudspeaker simulator is available on my website.

One of the new things is that the free version does not have a time limit any more.

Have a look at http://www.tolvan.com/basta

Hello Svante, can I confirm something, when I have two drivers in parallel in Basta driver tab, is it correct to select 2 drivers and in series set to 1 ? . The documentation is not entirely clear, Thx great work !