New version of Basta! released. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th December 2007, 11:02 PM   #1
Svante is offline Svante  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default New version of Basta! released.

If this is ok, I'd like to announce that there is a new version of the Basta! loudspeaker simulator is available on my website.

One of the new things is that the free version does not have a time limit any more.

Have a look at http://www.tolvan.com/basta
Old 24th December 2007, 11:17 PM   #2
AKN is offline AKN  Sweden
No snake oil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to AKN
Hi Svante,

A great Christmas gift....
Definitely going to be installed to be seen what changes have been made.
Old 25th December 2007, 03:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Svante,
Thank you for the Christmas present .
Do we need to uninstall the older version before installing the new version ?
Will the previous access code work on the new install ?
Thanks.
Old 25th December 2007, 09:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ashok
Svante,
Thank you for the Christmas present .
Do we need to uninstall the older version before installing the new version ?
Will the previous access code work on the new install ?
Thanks.
Well, Basta! does not have an installation procedure (it is just the exe file) så you can do whichever you like. If you run two versions in parallel it will nag you a bit about file associations when you switch between the versions, but otherwise they work in parallel. I don't see much use in keeping the old version, though.

Licensed users can use their old serial number for this version as well. In fact, they don't even have to find it, it is already in the computer.
Old 25th December 2007, 03:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks.
I'll try it out.
Old 26th December 2007, 02:53 AM   #6
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks Svante! A very nice Christmas present, indeed.

Quote:
Originally posted by Svante
så you can do whichever you like.
LOL! That's such a great Svenska typo. (så=so)
Love it....
Old 26th December 2007, 04:46 AM   #7
jdlech is offline jdlech  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'm already looking it over and find some of the details daunting for this noob. But other than the learning curve, it looks like it's worth €25.
Old 26th December 2007, 12:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by panomaniac
Thanks Svante! A very nice Christmas present, indeed.

LOL! That's such a great Svenska typo. (så=so)
Love it....
Oops...

Quote:
Originally posted by jdlech
Thanks for the heads up. I'm already looking it over and find some of the details daunting for this noob. But other than the learning curve, it looks like it's worth €25.
Yes, people tell me all the time it is too cheap, but I'll go on like this for a while.

It is interesting what you say about the learning curve, I had always thought it was rather simple to use. But of course as I put more stuff into it, there will be more things to fill in and it might not be so simple any more. It is a hard balance to keep between useability and features. And I am probably the worst person to ask about the learning curve, since I have been with the program from the start.
Old 26th December 2007, 02:00 PM   #9
jdlech is offline jdlech  United States
diyAudio Member

Let's just say it took a few minutes for this moron to find the online users guide. I'm sure it's no problem right now, but it eventually might be better off downloaded and viewed offline (and updated along with the program). As it stands, I've some reading to do before I can play with it much.

I'm used to digging right into most programs and intuitively getting the idea within minutes. But this one sent me diving for the help menu.

80 drivers in the database? Does the full program have more? Too bad you can't just rip off Harris Tech Audio's database . BTW, the online manual does not have one instance of the words 'online' or 'database' in it. Why no mention?

Also, when I downloaded a speaker's specs, I was not expecting it to spawn a new instance of the program. That's a good idea, but it freaked me out a bit the first time. Then I downloaded the database and noticed loading a driver from the database on the local drive does not spawn a new instance. Kinda strange behavior.
Old 26th December 2007, 05:16 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jdlech
Let's just say it took a few minutes for this moron to find the online users guide. I'm sure it's no problem right now, but it eventually might be better off downloaded and viewed offline (and updated along with the program). As it stands, I've some reading to do before I can play with it much.

I'm used to digging right into most programs and intuitively getting the idea within minutes. But this one sent me diving for the help menu.

80 drivers in the database? Does the full program have more? Too bad you can't just rip off Harris Tech Audio's database . BTW, the online manual does not have one instance of the words 'online' or 'database' in it. Why no mention?

Also, when I downloaded a speaker's specs, I was not expecting it to spawn a new instance of the program. That's a good idea, but it freaked me out a bit the first time. Then I downloaded the database and noticed loading a driver from the database on the local drive does not spawn a new instance. Kinda strange behavior.
Ok, good feedback. The database is not large, I agree. Frankly, the focus has not been to make a complete database, I have just added drivers as I have stumbled across them. After all it is not very hard to enter the T/S parameters of a driver.

One question, would you prefer an install script like most software today has, or is the standalone exe better? With an install script it would be easier to install local copies of the manual and database.

Hide this!Advertise here!