pressure-release cabinet - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2007, 09:14 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default pressure-release cabinet

I just came across this type of cabinet at the Egglestonworks homepage, under the Savoy product description. I've also noticed that Von Schweikert Audio also seems to use this technique. Is anyone familiar with this concept, and does anyone know if there is somewhere to read about the concept?

In the meantime, I will try to log in to the site (link below) and try to download the patent application text for an infinite baffle implementation of a pressure-release system.

http://www.patentalpha.com/reflex_ba...e_4196792.html
Old 23rd December 2007, 10:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

(Time for edit expired)

It is free to sign up for the patent site. There are tons of audio related stuff. I do have problems to access the whole PDF files, just the first side is visible. I do think that is a problem related to my crappy work-PC. I will try at home as well.
Old 23rd December 2007, 10:27 PM   #3
F1 FAN is offline F1 FAN  Canada
diyAudio Member

If Im not mistaken I believe Dynaudio use to call their Variovent designs pressure release (also known as aperiodic.)
Old 24th December 2007, 01:46 AM   #4
DcibeL is offline DcibeL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Forget the patent site linked above. I'll admit, I didn't read the entire text, just viewed the images and the claims. I don't see how this related to infinite baffle designs. It looks like some weird ported design that is supposed to impede the flow of air in one direction. I'm not sure what the point of this is, as I can only think if it increasing distortion due to added non-linearities. The design looks more like an extreme case of a port that is flared at one end only, which would be different from an aperiodic vent which would impede the same amount of airflow in both directions.

Hide this!Advertise here!