SR-71's Seas ER18RNX 7" woofer sold out at Madisound :( Other 2-way suggestions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the link! Actually I read your pages a few days ago, very helpful.

I might want to place the speakers near a wall? I also like the sound of a front ported speaker. I have a pair of JM Labs / Focal chorus 807 bookshelf's that also use 7" woofers. These are front ported and I like the extra sound the port puts forward.

I'm not ready to tackle making up my own crossovers yet. Thats why I'm concerned about changing the design to much. I'm gonna have to stick with the pre assembled crossovers from Madisound for now. Unless your ok with my sending them your plans to build?

Basically I just want those seas components in a front ported (3-4") large bookshelf.

Crossover building (not designing) is much easier than cabinet building :)

Anyway, I see what you want to do. Then why place the port above tweeter? It will change the tweeter's diffraction pattern.

If I were you, I'd shorten the cabinet width to 8". A little narrower baffle won't have any noticeable effect. According to my calculation, 8"x18"x12" (WxHxD) will give a box net volume of 18 liters. Anything between 14 and 20 liters can be used to obtain a smooth bass curve for the ER18 without much affecting power handling.

2" diameter port is sufficient for a single 7" woofer. People use a 2" tube even for 7" MTM.

nordhaven said:
"Then why place the port above tweeter? It will change the tweeter's diffraction pattern."

This is what I was wondering about. Can you explain diffraction pattern to me please.

So if I go wit the 2" tube should I place it under the woofer?

Here's a good write-up about the baffle diffraction effects on tweeter response:

http://www.rjbaudio.com/Audiofiles/tweeter diffraction.html

Diameter of a tube shouldn't be related to its location. If you use a 2" dia tube, you don't have to use an angled one.

OK.. I received the SR-71 kit from Madisound. On first glance, I was surprised that the pre-assembled crossovers do not come with male spade disconnects. Instead, you have to solder wire to them. They did not come with a schematic, so I'll have to get that from zaph's site. The bad thing about them not supplying this is that newbies would have to rely on a 3rd party website to retrieve the schematic, even though they link to zaph.. since it is a kit, it should be included. I'm not a newb to using crossovers, but I still need to check zaph's site to double-check. I figure the reason they don't provide this is because they'd then feel obligated to provide more information like enclosure size recommendation and baffle dimensions. Shouldn't be hard to print out though. I'm thinking not printing physical paper products these days is to save money which is totally cool too. What a coincidence! Our power and internet went out today, and I couldn't get online and get that information when I was bored and wanted to work on the wiring.

Everything was packaged pretty well.. I'd have wrapped some of the parts in the slim box (which has terminal cups, xovers, wire, etc) with some foam to keep them from rubbing together though.

About a week after my order, my father says that it is on backorder again. That's odd... it was recently back in stock and then now out again? Must be popular! I'm thinking it is a great deal actually, because I paid $300 for the parts to build a variation of that AR.com kit (PEERLESS 850122 CSX with Usher 9950) which the parts list for that is below:

Part Number Description Qty. Ordered Qty. Shipped Price Ext. Price
016-3.3 3.3 OHM 10W RESISTOR .. 2 2 $0.39 $0.78
016-8.2 8.2 OHM 10W RESISTOR .. 2 2 $0.39 $0.78
027-414 DAYTON DMPC-2.0 2.0uF-250V POLYPROPYLEN .. 2 2 $1.52 $3.04
027-424 DAYTON DMPC-6.8 6.8uF-250V POLYPROPYLEN .. 2 2 $2.25 $4.50
027-426 DAYTON DMPC-8.2 8.2uF-250V POLYPROPYLEN .. 2 2 $2.75 $5.50
027-436 DAYTON DMPC-20 20uF-250V POLYPROPYLENE .. 2 2 $4.95 $9.90
027-440 DAYTON DMPC-30 30uF-250V POLYPROPYLENE .. 2 2 $7.88 $15.76
081-422 #8 x 3/4" DEEP THREAD PAN HEAD BLACK 10 .. 1 1 $2.25 $2.25
240-725 SPEAKER CABINET TOE SPIKES 4 PC SET 3/8 .. 2 2 $2.50 $5.00
260-311 GOLD HIGH POWER TERMINAL ROUND .. 2 2 $3.40 $6.80
297-632 PEERLESS 850122 CSX 6-1/2" WOOFER .. 2 2 $43.23 $86.46
255-218 JANTZEN .30mH 18 GA AIR CORE INDUCTOR .. 2 2 $2.71 $5.42
255-254 JANTZEN 1.20mH 18 GA AIR CORE INDUCTOR .. 2 2 $4.82 $9.64
255-426 JANTZEN 1.50mH 15 GA AIR CORE INDUCTOR .. 2 2 $9.86 $19.72
276-608 USHER 9950-20 1" TEXTILE DOME TWEETER .. 2 2 $59.79 $119.58

I absolutely love the quality of the kit I put together with the above components and I'm expecting the SR-71 to be even better. My dad is going to meet up at my place with his two pairs and we'll split it to make the center channels for each of our setups! I may skimp on the baffle dimensions on the center to make it more slim but I'll be ok with the slight change in intended sound (my room problems are more to worry about). Although I don't like the fact I'll have an asymmetrical speaker (instead of MTM), I'll probably cover it with a grill cloth to not bring attention to it. That's one reason I liked using a particular Vifa coaxial.. it sounded really great for center channel and was "centered" aesthetically.

I'll post our 3 pairs' progress here as the project commences. My main pair will be parallelegram shaped so that it cradles the DLP's angles. My current mains have this design and it makes the whole speaker setup look much smaller and better!

I am surprised that no one else has commented. I really didn't want to write but it seems that many of you are hungry for it.

I've had them for a while now, it took me two nights to built. Very clean and neutral sounding. I compared it to a pair of Onix Rocket RS450s. I used to have a pair of Haydn Grands in the same room

First impression was NOICE.... :) I've grown to hate those online reviews with vague vocabularies, so I'll avoid that and try my best. SA71 made my RS450 sound muffled. As if a thin blanket was covering the RS450. SA71 creates a more 3-dimensional stage. SA71 sounds fuller and "image" better with a much deeper stage. (ie guitar sounds closer than the drummer...etc) I liked the Vifa tweeter better though. I sometimes find the SA71 too "bright" and hurts my ear sometimes. The Vifa XT25 is smoother. I am in the process of switching from a Denon to Marantz so fingers crossed. The SA71 has well defined bass. The RS450 has more decay and lingers. So far, I am loving this pair. Money well spent imo.

If you have specific questions, let me know and I'll do my best to help. I am no expert though, just love this hobby.

Hi!

Thanks for the reply!

Well, that sounds promising in deed, at least you do not have any subjective objections in disfavor of the 18RNX units!

But then I just came across these 4" titanuim units from Tangband and they do look rather interesting.... hmmm..

What would be the better midrange solution, two Tnagbands or one 18RNX....

I had the same issue with a pair of zaph l18+27tbfcg, there seemed to be something going on with the lower treble that hurt my ears when used with my denon 4800. I since switched to a pioneer elite 72txv and the issue went away completely. what denon model where you using?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.