SR-71's Seas ER18RNX 7" woofer sold out at Madisound :( Other 2-way suggestions? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2007, 11:29 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Well Madisound got the ER18's in so they're shipping tomorrow. Very nice.
Old 27th December 2007, 04:10 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

buttfacelicker,
I don't mean to be too personal but how did you acquire your monicker?

Ray
Old 28th December 2007, 09:35 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I chose my moniker based on the increase of foolish name calling between kids. My wife and I have been joking eachother, calling eachother "buttface licker", to make us laugh. I can elaborate more if you desire.
Old 28th December 2007, 04:13 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

No, no, that is quite enough data...I understand. My wife's pet name for me is less flattering and used when I am obstinate...which is often...it is F'''er Head. Obviously she does not know how to work in obscenities; however, I must admit her application is effective and spot on.

Ray
Old 28th December 2007, 04:34 PM   #15
peter_m is offline peter_m  Canada
diyAudio Member

Sorry to barge in like this, but when I first read your screen name, I assumed it had something to do with a pet dog... I'll spare you the graphical explanation... I'm glad it's not realted to your family pet, LOL!

Peter
Old 28th December 2007, 05:09 PM   #16
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peter_m
Sorry to barge in like this, but when I first read your screen name, I assumed it had something to do with a pet dog... I'll spare you the graphical explanation... I'm glad it's not related to your family pet, LOL!

Peter

Oh, I think there's petting involved - but that's a subject for a different kind of forum.

can you type with one hand?
Old 3rd January 2008, 02:36 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Glad to hear your parts were shipped! Keep us up on your progress.

I would also like to try the SR71. I would like to use the Madisound crossover and build my own boxes.

Can anyone tell me if it would be OK to port these out the front as long as the box volume stayed about the same and the port tuning was kept close?
Old 3rd January 2008, 01:53 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Well, in order to do that you would have to make the baffle taller and then to keep the volume the same make the box shallower (front to back) which I think would interfere with your port length because you need a sufficient amount of space between the opening on the port and the back of the box. I don't see it working out, but you could always recalculate the box volume and port, but keep the baffle width the same. I think that as long as you don't change the baffle width you will be ok to use the same crossover.
Old 3rd January 2008, 05:11 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I drew up a quick sketch to help explain what I'm thinking of.

Click the image to open in full size.

I use WinIsd for the box and vent dimensions. Zaph said the box would work well around 16L & 40hz so thats where the 18X11X9" came from. He used a straight 2" port at 6 or 7" long out the back.

I want to port out the front. I have read that a larger dia port 3" will produce less port whistle? thats why I would like to try a 3" at 18 to 18.75" long. This length would cause the port to have a 90* bend to fit in the box.

Please let me know if I'm way off base here. Maybe this is to far from the original design to work? Maybe having the opening to the port behind the woofer is a bad idea? Maybe having the woofer on bottom the tweeter in the middle and the port on top creates some odd sound qualities? I don't know?

WinIsd worked out the a 16L box tuned to 40hz at ( 18" X 11" X 9" with a 18.5" long 3" port).

Thanks for any help!!!
Old 3rd January 2008, 07:49 PM   #20
Jay_WJ is offline Jay_WJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Why do you want to do the front porting? Is it because you want to place the speakers close to walls?

If that's the case, my following write-up may be worth reading:

http://www.geocities.com/woove99/Spk...18RNX_2Way.htm

Hide this!Advertise here!