Heat buildup in sealed box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I opened up my new sealed box after some rigorous breaking in to discover that the air inside was both hot and stinky! (Good to know I'm not the only one who gets BO after working out ;-)

If I use these speakers for long, loud performances, do I need to worry about the parts inside overheating? This session was only an hour, and only at fairly moderate volumes... and if the box kills the drivers, well, that's definitely unacceptable.

Clearly adiabatic.

I wouldn't worry too much about the heat; it's doubtful that it got hot enough to melt anything. The stinky part might indicate that something is outgassing. Are your cabinets stuffed with fiberglass? Polyurethane? And what's the wood type? Particle board? Can you describe the smell?

Gotcha. I don't think I'll worry a whole bunch.

The smell is more of a "new rubber" smell; I attribute this to the polyeurethane glue used, and the fact that the drivers are all freshly unboxed.

The reason I'm so worried about it is because my dad had, just moments before I opened the box, asked me about the heat of the boxes; in particular he asked if it wasa bad move to cover the crossovers in padding, as I had done. No sooner had I told him that the heat was negligible, than the box opened and all this hot, stinky air came pouring out. :p yuck!

Well, thanks for the help... I think I'll uncover the crossovers to ease my dad's mind, and then not worry about heat. :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.