outboard function gen. instead of soundcard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guy's, I'm thinking of purchasing a dedicated function generator and frequency counter instead of using the laptop setup and sound card that I am currently using. The frequency gen. that is pc based seems to be spot on, when I compare its output freq. to my Fluke meter. What I don't like is the small fluctuations in voltage through the freq. range. I was told here in the forum that this is the sound card inaccuracies I am seeing. I want to be able to measure the TS parameters accurately, is this outboard/non pc based equipment a better way to go? I have the fluke meter and was thinking of buying one of the B&K Precision units (function gen/freq counter) I just started reading Joe D'Appollito's book Loudspeaker testing and think I will have to read it about 20 times till all sinks in.
Anyway, any thoughts on the hardware question?
dallaire

PS - I am using so far the constant voltage tech. using an old Onkyo reciever for amp for test purposes, fed by USB soundcard hooked to laptop.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
All the SW based PC measurement packages I have seen have a calibration routine built in to cater for SC inaccuracies. If you're doing it manually then gross inaccuracies may be a problem, but there is no point in going for accuracy beyond three significant figures anyway.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
And if you want to buy something, why not get one of the USB Woofer testers? They are fast, easy to use and accurate. $100-150 gets you one.

Then you'll have software to drive it and give you all the T/S reports you want, as well as impedance curves.

Yea, thats not a bad idea at all! I used speaker workshop for a while but it is to much of a pain to get all the settings setup correct even with the "jig" I have built. I will check these program/soundcard setups. Thanks
dallaire

PS. The one reason I was going the large hardware route was I'm getting a gift cert. from a large electronics store locally that sells B&k gear, they unfortunatly don't sell software of any kind:xeye:

Yea, I have read alot on Rod's site, some very interesting stuff! I did just purchase the "Smith and Larson Audio" Woofertester 2,software and hardware package, seems to be a nice package, hope its all of what it seems to be:rolleyes: It seems to do a bit more than some of the ones out there. I checked with Parts Express, there's seems to be a little basic but not as expensive.
I ordered a amp board once from ESP audio and was not at all imprresed with the lack of quality!, never even finished the amp project, I was so discouraged with the board. Marchand stuff is awesome in comparison, sorry thats my two cents. Rods articles though I do find very interesting!
dallaire

PS- thanks Panomaniac for the suggestion, Maui, boy lifes tough huh?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.