dbx At P.E.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BobEllis said:
Even with half a dozen NE5532s in the signal path, I found the active version more lifelike and transparent. It's even better now with OPA2134s. Someday I'd like to try one of the newer super opamps, but am quite happy with the OPAs for now.

Could that be because those are the types and quality used in the signal chain during the recording process for just about all our cds and records Bob?
I've always wondered what source material those who have Photosensitive epilepsy type symptoms at the sight (or more likely, prior knowledge) of opamps listen to. But alas, it remains a mystery.
BTW, happy holiday.

cheers,

AJ

sdclc126 said:

I guess the best way to know is to test two speakers of the same design, one active & one passive. Wonder if anybody's ever done this.

Yes, I've done this once. I was experimenting with a commercial Thiel CS 1.2 speaker. A simple Vifa 2-way speaker with sloped front baffle.

I switched to a digital crossover using Behringer DCX2496. I tuned by ear to 2200 hz crossover point.

I am not sure if this matched the original crossover frequency, but it was close.

It didn't sound better. Now, I might have missed a little BSC while going active. This was done in my first month of experience with active crossover, too. It's been years since then.

I am now suspecting that active crossovers are great for woofers where the passive components are large and expensive. Not so sure a tweeter benefits much from active.

The Thiel cs 1.2, like the b&w n805 is one of those speakers that is very difficult to convert into active drive, commercial xo or DIY xo.

While the n 805 have 24db slopes amnd the thiel supposed to have a near phase linear 6db slopes. They both have critically tuned xo as most high end speakers, That you cant just replace with active xo , to make ( supposedly) life easier and better.

I do agree that for mids and highs, passive xos are perfectly fine for home use, But for PA system , using active drive all the way have tremendous benefits, specially if you use powered speakers. The only time that one should avoid using a passive xo is at the low freq.

"The only thing after the amp were zobels on the individual drivers, so nice flat loads (in passband)."

Brett,

Forgive my ignorance, But why would you need zobel circuit if you're on active, Is'nt that the point in going active? elimination of the speaker impedance curve on the xo equation.

Btw , I havent tried a descrete active xo,( would try some day) , but i've tried various kinds of opamps and various brands of xo between the main and the sub ( leaving the mid and high passive xo alone) , They all add or subtract something in the sound quality, Like adding more widow pane in an already paned window or another layer of glass to an eyeglass.

But i have to admit that the effect of diminished transparency with active xo, is so subtle and probably inaudible in most situaton.

marchel said:
"The only thing after the amp were zobels on the individual drivers, so nice flat loads (in passband)."

Brett,

Forgive my ignorance, But why would you need zobel circuit if you're on active, Is'nt that the point in going active? elimination of the speaker impedance curve on the xo equation.
My amps have a moderate O/P Z and the rise in Z by inductance reduces the effective slope of the xovers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.