Driver Selections - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st December 2007, 03:05 AM   #1
JerMu is offline JerMu  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Driver Selections

I am hoping to get some guidance towards what drivers I might use for a home theater system I am planning to build. I am relatively new to DIY speakers, I have been researching for a couple year now, built a sub of my own and have been planning to delve into a full system for my next project. The one thing I am running into is that i feel like the more I read the more the "rabbit hole" grows deeper in respect to things to keep in mind while selecting drivers / designing enclosures. My goal with this thread is to get some guidance from people with experience as to what good bang for your buck drivers are that might help narrow my search rather than just shooting in the dark at a seemingly endless array of drivers out there.

My design criteria right now is pretty broad, I would like to set up a 5.1 or 7.1 system (not fully decided yet) that will not only play music nicely but that a movie will sound good on too. I know there are some debates / problem areas with trying to do both, but I would like to get as close as I can with both, but with the emphasis on music if it does need to lean toward one discipline. I would also like the sensitivity of the system to reside somewhere above 90 db. I would also like for the drivers to be some what asthetically pleasing, but this is secondary to sound reproduction of course. I really dont' want to go over board with cost either, as cheap as I can get it while maintaining good sound is what I want to achieve I am willing to pay for good sound, but I don't need all the bells and whistles that make a speaker/system look good on paper but no one ever really can tell by hearing.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Thanks!

JerMu
Old 21st December 2007, 03:26 AM   #2
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

JerMu,

Honestly, a set of fullrange drivers in horns might fill the bill rather well, depending on how large a cabinet you (or your "boss") can tolerate. The Half Chang Horn, on the fullrange side of this forum, used with the Pioneer wide range driver and an inexpensive tweeter crossed with a simple cap would probably give excellent results. There "are" many other options, of course, and choosing one is a hard task.
Good luck on your quest!

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 21st December 2007, 05:34 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TerryO
a set of fullrange drivers
Certianly the easiest path to really good sound without spending a whole lot of money (of course you can spend a lot of money too -- 5 of the "cheap" Feastrex for instance.

dave
Old 21st December 2007, 06:11 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TerryO
Honestly, a set of fullrange drivers in horns
Will not even come close to decent dynamics or SPL.
Old 21st December 2007, 03:44 PM   #5
JerMu is offline JerMu  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm open to the full range discussion, but it is my understanding in what I've read so far that there is no way one speaker can properly replicate the full range. I had in mind that I would have two front tower (3-way) speakers with a center and surround speakers that match the tower speakers minus the woofer component. I thought this would more accurately replicate the sound spectrum, and provide the spl needed.

Just my thoughts, as I said I'm open to the discussion. That is my main goal here is to learn from experienced DIYers and use their insight in my selection.

Good sound (spl and sound production) + Good price = what I want I know there will be trade offs and that is what I hope to learn from you guys about.

/bump in hopes of getting more input

Thanks again for the help!
Old 21st December 2007, 04:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

"Good sound (spl and sound production) + Good price = what I want I know there will be trade offs and that is what I hope to learn from you guys about."

You don't get good performance for peanuts. You should have a real budget or at least a good idea of what you can afford and realistic expectations of what to expect within that budget.

DIY is not neccesarilly cheaper depending on what you want to spend. You need drivers, crossovers and cabinets plus your time.

Rob
Old 21st December 2007, 05:24 PM   #7
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Well, if you choose from the top of lets say TroelsGravesen it could very well end up in 5000USD with subs and all, maybe much more ... and a LOT of work to be done

At the other end Madisound has a LOKI kit with a Seas coax at 260USD with all parts needed ... I suppose 5 of those and maybe 3 or 4 subs would do fine

Or you may like some the Statement designs by Jim Holtz better, its all there

http://www.geocities.com/cc00541/index.html
Old 22nd December 2007, 12:40 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

JerMu-

Quote:
If you post your price range, it would be easier to recommend some decent drivers that would get the job done.

If you are really looking for 90+ dB sensitivity, you are probably looking at some rather largish boxes. I would recommend some nice WTW two ways, like the Seas Odin (but with more reasonably priced drivers.)

JJ
Old 22nd December 2007, 01:52 AM   #9
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Will not even come close to decent dynamics or SPL.

Quote:
Originally posted by JerMu
I'm open to the full range discussion, but it is my understanding in what I've read so far that there is no way one speaker can properly replicate the full range. I had in mind that I would have two front tower (3-way) speakers with a center and surround speakers that match the tower speakers minus the woofer component. I thought this would more accurately replicate the sound spectrum, and provide the spl needed.

Just my thoughts, as I said I'm open to the discussion. That is my main goal here is to learn from experienced DIYers and use their insight in my selection.

Good sound (spl and sound production) + Good price = what I want I know there will be trade offs and that is what I hope to learn from you guys about.

Thanks again for the help!
You're both right, the ONLY speaker that will satisfy these objections is a multiway horn speaker. Absolutely nothing else can give you the spl and dynamics that is specified (well, actually it wasn't). So I would suggest at a minimum a K-Horn knockoff or perhaps an Oaris horn with a Lowther (or better) driver with a midbass horn and a couple of Labhorns for realistic dynamics and spls'. Some of Tom Danley's tapped horns may be better yet.

So forget any sort of MTM 2-way, three-way or anything with a direct radiating cone driver as they won't meet, or come close to meeting your criteria. The only problem is that little bit about "Good price", which should not really be a consideration if you're serious (and BTW, that *is* the trade-off.)

Maybe an "experienced DIY'er" can give you better advice.

TerryO
Old 22nd December 2007, 02:37 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

"You're both right, the ONLY speaker that will satisfy these objections is a multiway horn speaker. Absolutely nothing else can give you the spl and dynamics that is specified (well, actually it wasn't)."

You don't need an all horn system to hit THX levels. They don't use all horn systems in a movie theater. You want 105db not 125db

Rob

Hide this!Advertise here!