Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2007, 10:04 PM   #21
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator

Thanks, thats an ok price fore top coax drivers, only pitty that price will double before they arrive at my doorstep, but hell, around here we are used to pay twice as much fore everything...sure hope they are worth it

Any idea of estimated xo point on that tweeter?
Old 22nd December 2007, 10:16 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
Thanks, thats an ok price fore top coax drivers, only pitty that price will double before they arrive at my doorstep, but hell, around here we are used to pay twice as much fore everything...sure hope they are worth it

Any idea of estimated xo point on that tweeter?
The GPA is 1k6 12dB/oct symmetrical.

I still may pop for a pair of these next year, but it'll depend on whether I stay horn or go OB.
Old 22nd December 2007, 10:22 PM   #23
diyAudio Moderator

Fore OB I would choose a driver with electromagnet, and it will loose in sensitivity
Old 22nd December 2007, 10:28 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Fore OB I would choose a driver with electromagnet, and it will loose in sensitivity
I have 4 Jensen F12N, but none of the currently available FC drivers are my cup of tea.

If I get the GPA604's I'll cross them at 150-200 to a heap of 15's or 18's.
Old 22nd December 2007, 11:55 PM   #25
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
I have 4 Jensen F12N, but none of the currently available FC drivers are my cup of tea.

If I get the GPA604's I'll cross them at 150-200 to a heap of 15's or 18's.

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but it is an option. Be aware that there are only a few days left for the "special pricing" on the combo.
Also on the same forum, there is a thread on the new 18 inch driver that is coming out (XJ-18).

URL: http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=47997.0

Best Regards,
TerryO
Old 23rd December 2007, 01:53 AM   #26
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by JerMu
it just seems to make sense that the community as a whole would have a general consenus on what "good sound" for your buck would be and maybe there were some popular drivers that are used over and over because they are in fact good.
Lots of people will disagree over what a good driver is because they have different goals... there are drivers that do get a lot of traffic and figure in a lot of designs, but you won't find 1 driver that everyone thinks is great, you probably won't even find one that everyone thinks is good... for instance i don't think i could live with the great plains Terry mentioned...

One of the drivers that does figure in a lot of designs and would fall in the good sound for your buck is the Fostex FE127e (and of course i'd figure a FE127eN is even better value)... but they just have the kind of dynamics that someone like Brett looks for -- i do suspect he'd find they make a really nice computer speaker.

Lots more examples of this kind of thing exist. IIts all about what trade-offs you can live with... and with even the very best getting to maybe 10% of all the goals it is easy to get 2 perfectly valid speakers that each satisfy a specific person's tradoffs, and still be more different than alike.

Also keep in mind that a speaker should never be considered in isolation from the amps & cabling it will be used with ... the Jim Holtz Statement mentioned for instance, would sound like trash in my system because it is not suited for my preferred amplification.

dave
Old 23rd December 2007, 02:53 AM   #27
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

Also keep in mind that a speaker should never be considered in isolation from the amps & cabling it will be used with ... the Jim Holtz Statement mentioned for instance, would sound like trash in my system because it is not suited for my preferred amplification.

dave

All you said is true, well most of it
I will only comment about Jim Holtz Statement that I mentioned it because there is a smaller version and also a matching center speaker
I doubt it will be "the best" at all, but my thought was that it might end up much better than what an unexperienced can achieve starting from zero designing his own, no matter what ever drivers are used

Some people seem to think that dynamics come from size and huge SPL rating...well, I strongly believe it comes with good phase response
Use whatever drivers you like...crossovers will always be the important key factor
Well, Dave might say that the lack of crossover is more important
Old 23rd December 2007, 03:20 AM   #28
Daveis is offline Daveis  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I will only comment about Jim Holtz Statement that I mentioned it because there is a smaller version and also a matching center speaker
I doubt it will be "the best" at all, but my thought was that it might end up much better than what an unexperienced can achieve starting from zero designing his own, no matter what ever drivers are used
I agree. Jim's Statement is a good use of Parts Express sourced Dayton drivers. They would do well in home theatre use. They are on the large side. The mini-version of the same speakers are pretty large, too.

The Modula M/T's over on htguide.com are good value.
A nice small speaker... could easily use prebuilt cabinets to make them.

A friend built a Seas Excel MTM with a Rick Craig designed crossover. It's good and sounds good played loud. My friend is starting to thinik it sounds a bit metallic.

But... for home theatre I would lean towards multi-way horns.
High efficiency horns can sound effortless with relatively low power and inexpensive amplifiers. My buddy's Klipsh horns are much more dynamic sounding than my triamp/active crossover system.

I personally use Scanspeak/Vifa and am happy with the results.
I get good bass, good detail. But the sound is a bit lifeless compared to horns.

You really need to attend some speaker DIY events to get an idea of what sounds good to you. No sense in building a speaker you haven't heard.
Old 23rd December 2007, 03:37 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Some people seem to think that dynamics come from size and huge SPL rating...well, I strongly believe it comes with good phase response
Use whatever drivers you like...crossovers will always be the important key factor
All three plus good driver selection. No use having 85dB efficient small drivers and expecting realistic SPLs from them because when you try, your design will fall apart.
Old 23rd December 2007, 04:00 AM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Dave might say that the lack of crossover is more important
Indeed.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!