Driver Selections - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd December 2007, 03:43 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TerryO
So I would suggest at a minimum a K-Horn knockoff or perhaps an Oaris horn with a Lowther (or better) driver with a midbass horn and a couple of Labhorns for realistic dynamics and spls'. Some of Tom Danley's tapped horns may be better yet.
My big horn system was similar to that in many ways. Now I've got modded KHorns in my small room and are considering some TH's (with the old LAB drivers) to flesh out the lower registers.
Old 22nd December 2007, 03:45 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Robh3606
You don't need an all horn system to hit THX levels. They don't use all horn systems in a movie theater. You want 105db not 125db

Rob
Most theatres completely suck sonically so they're not a good benchmark. Something like the Drew Daniels system would be OK.
Old 22nd December 2007, 03:56 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

"Most theatres completely suck sonically so they're not a good benchmark. Something like the Drew Daniels system would be OK."

Not if its a larger JBL based THX set-up. Drew's system was 1 2245 2x 2227 1x 2123 and a 2450 per side.

A THX would be 2245 subs a gagle of 2225/2226's in pairs and large format compression drivers like 2445's on 2360 Horns for the fronts

Nothing to make lite off. Set up right the theater set-up could sound quite good and easilly deliver the goods

Rob
Old 22nd December 2007, 04:56 AM   #14
GDJ is offline GDJ  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just my 2 here, but if I wanted to build a good 3-way system, I would seriously look at a top knotch full-range driver for the midrange (say 400 Hz to 4KHz band) in it's own chamber, and then look for a good woofer and tweeter. The mids are, IMHO, the make-or-break for a good system. If the midrange band is fairly flat and accurate, then you have a good speaker.
Old 22nd December 2007, 02:39 PM   #15
JerMu is offline JerMu  United States
diyAudio Member

I don't see where a price point will really help in this discussion. I'm not asking to meet a certian price, I'm simply trying to get a good idea for what sort of drivers are consider good drivers and worth what you pay for them compared to other drivers. Since there are a large variety of drivers out there I'm just trying to narrow my options a bit. I am willing to pay for good sound, I just don't want to pay for features that no one except a computer can hear so I can brag to my friends that my system is better because... Time and Labor are not a factor for me as I'm familar with the task at hand and willing to put forth the effort. I'm simply at the begining stage of putting something together and need a little veteran advice as to what is a good purchase for my money and what is not worth the extra money.

I also don't have to meet my 90db request with one speaker we can use multiple drivers to acheive a higher db, I'm just looking for a quality vs cost comparision with you guys. I mean you gotta know of drivers that are utter crap, as well as what you'd get if you were wanting to put together a good system without going over board and just spending cash nilly billy.
Old 22nd December 2007, 05:59 PM   #16
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

It is still not clear to me what it is you really want

As you didnt comment on the Jim Holtz speakers I suppose you are only here to find good drivers

Well, its not too hard to find good drivers, it a whole lot more difficult to make them work together
Old 22nd December 2007, 09:16 PM   #17
JerMu is offline JerMu  United States
diyAudio Member

Precisely, which is the first step in my project.

I am lost in a sea of "good" drivers and I was just hoping to get some veteran insight to help me pick. Once I make a selection I can then work on making them work together. I mean can I pick from any of the brands on PE or Madisound or are there better places to look? Is there something I should look out for? Just insight to finding a good driver is all I am wanting right now. I know from reading Loudspeaker Cookbook that there are a number of items to look for, but as I stated it seems that the more I read the more complicated the problem gets and I was just hoping for some experienced help in PICKING the drivers for now.

I affraid that if I take a stab at it all I'm going to get is "this driver would be better" or "that driver's off axis is garbage", I was just hoping that maybe a concensus of 10 or so drivers would float to the top of this thread and I could then pick from those rather than the hundreds on the net now. Maybe I need to just throw out some driver thoughts of my own and get the boards opinions with that. it just seems to make sense that the community as a whole would have a general consenus on what "good sound" for your buck would be and maybe there were some popular drivers that are used over and over because they are in fact good. I'm already in the process of trying to put something together, let me just get back with that and you guys can tell me what you think.
Old 22nd December 2007, 10:03 PM   #18
TerryO is offline TerryO  United States
diyAudio Member

Since you don't seem to really know what you want, I'm going to try one last time. If you want a "great driver" instead of one of the many good drivers available (which is, BTW, of lesser importance than you seem to be aware of) I will give you the URL of a source for the "Best" and you can take it or leave it. There is plenty of documentation available so you won't have to bother with these forums afterwards.

The URL: http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/components.htm

Best Regards and Goodbye,
TerryO
Old 22nd December 2007, 10:40 PM   #19
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Link doesnt work here

Well, my thoughts were at coaxials too

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/2_way.html

Will we ever get to know how much they cost ... seems to be a well cept secret
Old 22nd December 2007, 10:53 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tinitus
Link doesnt work here

Well, my thoughts were at coaxials too

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/2_way.html

Will we ever get to know how much they cost ... seems to be a well cept secret
It only takes an email to Bill. $US680 ea or $US750 with xovers.

Hide this!Advertise here!