Open-Baffle and Equalizer - why not :) - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th December 2007, 02:36 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

You guys are amazing ... I'm now trying to digest all the info and do some read-up.

What's a common DIY active crossover ? Perhaps something compatible with gainclones
Old 20th December 2007, 03:54 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gainphile
What's a common DIY active crossover ? Perhaps something compatible with gainclones
Opamp based design around the sand of your choice. Couple of projects on Elliots site.
Old 21st December 2007, 06:54 AM   #13
DAMIC is offline DAMIC  Seychelles
diyAudio Member

Hi Rudolf, thanks for response. My room is 4m x 6m, average height 3m, but unfortunately due to side doors I can placed front baffle max at 65 cm from the wall. This is exactly the place where, for years, I am keeping my Apogee Centaurus Minorís, also dipole speakers. Recommended distance for almost all Apogees is between 90 and 120cm, but even 65cm gives me excellent performance.

Recently, I made 2-way reflex box with 12 inch Eminence ME12-2008 driver what seems to be older version of later Eminence Delta 12 and Eminence Delta-12A. The tweeter is German ribbon Gradient GRT 195. Box, net volume 109 liter, tuned to 47Hz, with F3 about 45Hz. The sound is surprisingly good and with flat tone controls there is enough bass in the room. I must point that only one box is made.

Last 2 weeks I found myself more to listen the Eminence than my regular setup. There is something catchy in that efficient paper cone speaker.

Now, reading all that posts about OB, I wish to try this design with same components. I know that OB will further decrease the bass, but also noticed that variations with wings, U or H frame gave better low response. In fact, I would be satisfied if I could provide the amount of bass from two speakers OB like I have with present one reflex box.

Rudolf, thanks for the graphs, again. Anyway, I am going to try U frame.

Regards,
Old 9th March 2008, 10:18 AM   #14
SamL is offline SamL  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ttan98
mine is housed in U frame the freq response improves dramatically, flat to 50 Hz. beware of resonance it generates. I use an elecronic x-over hence equalization is easy for me. I don't need it for mine.

Sorry to drag this out.

Hi ttan98,

What size woofer are you using in the U-frame? What is the high pass crossover point? Well, reading John K note, he mention 150Hz for U-frame, which is a bit low for the list of mid I have in mind.

Thanks
Old 9th March 2008, 12:20 PM   #15
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamL

Sorry to drag this out.

Hi ttan98,

What size woofer are you using in the U-frame? What is the high pass crossover point? Well, reading John K note, he mention 150Hz for U-frame, which is a bit low for the list of mid I have in mind.

Thanks
I am using dual 12in woofer and cross around 150 - 200Hz, I use my ear to tune it.
Old 2nd July 2013, 06:16 AM   #16
Rewind is offline Rewind  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I am using a 12" JBL cone which is a nice midbass speaker in open baffle U frame, the dimensions of a 50L Marshall guitar cabinet. Sounds more open and less distorted than in the same cabinet but sealed. It is pretty powerful and very sensitive (100+dB). According to JBL is a compromise if you don't have room for a bigger bass driver.

I did a simple test in minidsp 4x10hd to put a low shelf on the midbass channel (which reaches approx 50Hz), then lowering the shelf for the high freq lower than the low shelf. Then I raised the volume of the whole bass channel more than usual and instant Doof, doof!

Last edited by Rewind; 2nd July 2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:21 PM   #17
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Ah, an old thread come back to life!

Since 2007 I've found that I don't much like the sound of typical bass EQ (like a shelf) on OB. I just can't get it to sound right, and don't know why. What does work great is a very low frequency Low Pass filter. Sometimes as low as 60Hz or lower. It can be 1st order, or near 2nd order, but it works. It will make the woofers sound natural and true. And it will put the -3dB or -6dB point right were they need to be for the midrange driver.

It seems a strange way of doing it, but it works great.
Old 2nd July 2013, 10:31 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I am doing it for my single U-formed open baffle now with a BW18dB high pass at 150Hz and I can't hear a difference. At 200Hz I start to hear it. The JBL 2204H has a Fs of 35Hz! Hm.
The JBL 2204H is supposed be a high powered low frequency speaker, but in open baffle it does little below 200Hz. But open baffle gave me cleaner midrange.
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:16 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Ah, an old thread come back to life!

Since 2007 I've found that I don't much like the sound of typical bass EQ (like a shelf) on OB. I just can't get it to sound right, and don't know why. What does work great is a very low frequency Low Pass filter. Sometimes as low as 60Hz or lower. It can be 1st order, or near 2nd order, but it works. It will make the woofers sound natural and true. And it will put the -3dB or -6dB point right were they need to be for the midrange driver.

It seems a strange way of doing it, but it works great.
There is more to eqing a dipole woofer than just adding an LP shelf...

Gradient woofer equalization
Old 2nd July 2013, 11:52 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Like what. I am new to dipole woofers.

Hide this!Advertise here!