Let's talk speaker cones... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th December 2007, 11:32 PM   #1
300Z is offline 300Z  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 300Z Send a message via MSN to 300Z
Default Let's talk speaker cones...

Did some search around and haven't really seen any significant posts on the subject so...

What is the correlation between cone profiles and materials to the actual sound that we hear? What difference exactly does a cone profile make assuming the same material is used? Straight, curvilinear? Soft, hard cones?

Leo
Old 15th December 2007, 11:51 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I saw link around here somewhere -- (for now I'm going to guess it was on Zaph's website, I'll look around later to see if I can find it) -- about distortion measurements for some different cone profiles. I think the cone profiles looked at were pure conical vs. a progressive profile. I recall it dealt specifically with metal cones, but some of the results should carry over to other materials.

JJ
Old 15th December 2007, 11:56 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

http://www.zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker17.html

Here is a link to Zaph's project article, which contains a link to the paper.

JJ
Old 16th December 2007, 12:18 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What is the correlation between cone profiles and materials to the actual sound that we hear?
This is one of my favorite topics, as cone breakup seems to be the most audible type of distortion to me.

I won't bore everyone with a ridiculously long post, but in my experience, only metal cones can reproduce all the detail that encoded in even a standard CD. But the cone breakup of larger metal cones can sound rather unpleasant. My 'currrent' speakers use a 3" titanium (more or less) cone.

JJ
Old 16th December 2007, 12:36 AM   #5
BudP is offline BudP  United States
diyAudio Member

You might also investigate the EnABL thread. A way to disperse even the major nodal breakup found in metal cones is discussed there.
EnABL Processes
Also some work shown on how to eliminate reflections, diffractions and transient standing waves in all emitting surfaces, cones, domes, horns CD's, and the incidental surfaces surrounding the emitters.

Bud
Old 16th December 2007, 01:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

You'll find Lynn Olson has some quite extensive commnets to make on the realtionship between cone material and sound quality. You'll find it in his "nutshellhifi" site or just Google "lynn olson speakers". The relevant section is Part Two of 'The Art of Speaker Design' or something like that.
Old 16th December 2007, 04:02 AM   #7
bastek is offline bastek  United States
diyAudio Member

My metal cones are like medical instruments, accurate, analytical and neutral. My paper-plastic cones sound warmer and more pleasant. Is warmth part of the music? For decades, speakers sounded warm (evolving). But i prefer metal (logic) than paper-poly (emotion).
But now i hear good things about wood cones..
Old 16th December 2007, 05:24 AM   #8
300Z is offline 300Z  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to 300Z Send a message via MSN to 300Z
Thanks for the input everyone. Looks like I got some reading to do.

Cheers

Leo
Old 16th December 2007, 12:16 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Bastek-

I would be interested to know--
How big are the metal drivers?
What model are they?
What type of music do you listen to, and, most importantly, do you ever hear evidence of cone breakup, especially when listening to female vocalists?

JJ
Old 16th December 2007, 01:12 PM   #10
bastek is offline bastek  United States
diyAudio Member

The Seas W15CY001 is 5 1/2", a great mid-woofer for New Age and Jazz, and an occasional classical passage. No breakup on moderate to high volumes. Clear (and cold) as ice.

Hide this!Advertise here!