your thoughts on this system

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
first a little about what i am looking for loud,hard,big back to the 70's and 80' speaker systems what i was thinking of was a 3 way system using ess heil air-motion transformer for the highs in the center of 4 altec lansing 405-8H 4" cast frame speakers as the mid bass and aurum cantus AC-250F1 10" for the woofer's let me know what you think

pedroskova said:
The 405-8H has an Fs of 90Hz and a limited xmax...don't cross it too low - the aurum cantus looks like it could be taken high enough to get around this.

T/S parameters here

how low would you recommend these speakers are intended for comm. ceiling applications but they don't have the 70v transformers on them i have 8 of them that i don't have any other plans for so i was thinking of away to use them up i started out with 56 and i am down to 32 and have plans for 24 of them

crs1 said:

how low would you recommend these speakers are intended for comm. ceiling applications but they don't have the 70v transformers on them i have 8 of them that i don't have any other plans for so i was thinking of away to use them up i started out with 56 and i am down to 32 and have plans for 24 of them

Whether 2 or 4 are used per side, I'd guess 250 Hz with a 12dB/oct x-over. This would give you ~100-103dB(2 drivers) at an average listening distance. This isn't Rolling Stones stupid-silly levels, but with pop/rock in a normal room, you won't be carrying on a meaningful conversation.

BTW...we're talking about linear xmax...I don't know what kind of abuse they'll take, since xmechanical(where damage may occur) wasn't given in the specs.

pedroskova said:

Whether 2 or 4 are used per side, I'd guess 250 Hz with a 12dB/oct x-over. This would give you ~100-103dB(2 drivers) at an average listening distance. This isn't Rolling Stones stupid-silly levels, but with pop/rock in a normal room, you won't be carrying on a meaningful conversation.

BTW...we're talking about linear xmax...I don't know what kind of abuse they'll take, since xmechanical(where damage may occur) wasn't given in the specs.

thank you @250 was what i was thinking but wasn't sure my main thing years ago was car audio but i am so far out of the loop that its not even funny well thanks again

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.