Triamping for Magnepan 3.6R - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2007, 11:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Triamping for Magnepan 3.6R

I'm looking for the way to make my system sound better. I think that DRC, digital crossovers and tri-amping it the way to go. I'm looking at Behringer DCX2496 (with new clock, PSU, DACs and volume control). I have B&K 3030 which I'd like to use with either bass or midrange section. Which amps I should consider to build? Is it better to use solid state for midrange and SE tube one (like 300B) for tweeter? I'd like to avoid extremely high voltages (>300V) and power consumption > 2kW total.

Bass driver - 35-200Hz - 100W
Midrange - 200-1700Hz - 90W
Tweeter - 1700-40000 - 14W
Old 13th December 2007, 12:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The only down side to the Behringer is that you can't import/measure driver correction responses so you are left to correct any deviations from perfection with the parametric & shelving filters available.

Personally, I think a true correcting DSP crossover like the DEQX 2.1 is the only way to go.

As for amps, that's a very personal preference and I think you'll get all answers to that here. Some like the mellow sweetness of tubes, others like the precision of transistors. I'd get the thing up and running with whatever you have available and then start tweaking.

That's the fun of it right?!?
Old 13th December 2007, 10:43 AM   #3
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi, I'd say you need 40W for the tweeter, /sreten.
Old 13th December 2007, 02:02 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Iain McNeill
The only down side to the Behringer is that you can't import/measure driver correction responses so you are left to correct any deviations from perfection with the parametric & shelving filters available.
Personally, I think a true correcting DSP crossover like the DEQX 2.1 is the only way to go.
I am not sure about DCX2496. I'm thinking also about buing some external multichennel soundcard like Lynx Aurora 8 and running 7(3*2 + sub) long FIR filters for DRC and crossover on PC. So only one thing is certain now - I need 2 more amps

Quote:
As for amps, that's a very personal preference and I think you'll get all answers to that here. Some like the mellow sweetness of tubes, others like the precision of transistors. I'd get the thing up and running with whatever you have available and then start tweaking.

That's the fun of it right?!?
One of the options is to combine best of both worlds. Just not sure how these 2 types will blend together. Also there are gazillion DIY amp projects, and I'm not sure what to look at.

Quote:
Originally posted by sreten
Hi, I'd say you need 40W for the tweeter, /sreten.
3.3 Ohms tweeter protected by 2amp fuse, and I saw the pictures of blown 3.6 tweeters on this forum. Also I'm not sure that I even need 12W: I typically run these speakers on 30W total, but it is nice to have headroom
Old 13th December 2007, 02:51 PM   #5
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stolbovoy

3.3 Ohms tweeter protected by 2amp fuse, and I saw the pictures of blown 3.6 tweeters on this forum. Also I'm not sure that I even need 12W: I typically run these speakers on 30W total, but it is nice to have headroom

Hi,

Ratio of bass/mid/ treble amps I'd say ~ 40%, 40%, 20%.
Peak treble levels are far in excess of the average levels.

/sreten.
Old 13th December 2007, 05:21 PM   #6
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

I'm personally running 6 channels of Douglas Self's Class G amp (see Wireless World Dec 2001 & Jan 2002 or in his book "Audio Power Amplifier Design" These have been running flawlessly for 5 years now and I would recommend them to anyone - they are truly "blameless"

Now if I could only get my speakers and my room to perform as well!

Hide this!Advertise here!