Magico Mini - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th December 2007, 07:57 PM   #31
terry j is offline terry j  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sdclc126
Certainly the speaker can be replicated for less than $20K! Shows you what kind of insane markups there are out there. It can be replicated for maybe 15% of the retail price, maybe less. What a huge waste of money to buy retail in this category, whatever your budget is.

I must say I'm intrigued by the woofer - would be nice to see some measurements.

Lynn posted the measurements of the bass driver etc in the 'beyond ariel' thread. I just tried using the search function to find the post, but only the entire thread came up!

someone else may have better knowledge of using the search function and zero in on the actual post.

If it's any help it is quite late in the thread, maybe around the 3/4 mark?

If I were to do a 'clone' I'd use my deqx to do the x-over, forget the passive.

For my money, I'd end up with a better result, and still save a bucket load.
Old 12th December 2007, 08:03 PM   #32
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by limono
But since most here feel they can certainly do better (which actually is possible) back I will go to my drawer
Note I said "modify", not necessarily better.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 12th December 2007, 08:40 PM   #33
riff.ca is offline riff.ca  Canada
diyAudio Member

On what planet do folks spend 20+K for a two way stand mount, I want to meet some of them

The thread on the DIY build is painful to read, more of a tutorial on how not to build them then how to build them.

I really enjoyed the article at HIFI4ALL, thanks! I'm curious about their patent. I don't see anything that hasn't been done for centuries in the case of kerf bending or decades in the case of miter folding. Nice to see some cabinet scrapers and a dado plane on the assemble bench.
Old 12th December 2007, 09:35 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Dcibel
Cool speaker ,I bet it sounds more coherent than typical DIY project which usually consist a best most fashionable drivers money can buy ( why settle for less ??) panzer tank enclosures and latest foil inductors /expensive caps to ensure that result will be second to none. (well in that case Magico Mini is a really a good object of DIY interest ).As to why I post on the subject I thought that topic of this thread is how to clone sound of Magico Mini which I find not realistic /possible. But since most here feel they can certainly do better (which actually is possible) back I will go to my drawer
Yes the topic of the thread was cloing the Magico Mini, which is both realistic AND possible - if one person/company can build it (Magico), so can another (DIYer).

But you you said a lot more than your stated reason for your posts - you panned the hobby altogether.

"I would abandon cloning these speakers or any speakers "

"DIY speakers are for guys with lots of spare time, wood and a fireplace"

"I've yet to hear a DIY speaker worth more than a wood it was built from"

Bye.
Old 12th December 2007, 10:53 PM   #35
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
AFAIK All exclusive brands of speakers are using custom modified drivers .They may not be better than stock ones but they almost always little different -good luck finding/buying those drivers. How do you know that pictures of interior show all the details ?You'd need to use the same stock of material to build enclosures with the same technique and glue to get identical results ,than you would have to tune crossover (how do you know that each pair is not matched together)
I'd wait a little and buy used for half price or less. I've yet to hear a DIY speaker worth more than a wood it was built from .regards.l

I am with you. DIY speakers are for people who just like to play around . We must endorse the real professionals who keep their hard earned special knowledge for making a decent living. Magico Mini for $20.000 or Mini II for $30.000, I would gladly pay. I find it fair. There is something very special obviously in them. But I have a bigger room and I have seen some High-End speaker in a show that I very much like. Its digitally processed I was told. I would gladly pay $100.000 for it given the scale plus another $100.000 for its digital electronics and exactly matched multitude of amps. That one is so well made, so well designed, I crave for it. It must have taken tens of thousands of working hours to develop by a very large scientific team, and a budget of millions. But I have a problem. I do not recall the Brand and model name. Can you please help me with that and suggest me a trusted dealer? I just have one photo that I post here. Thanks.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th December 2007, 11:17 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

"DIY speakers are for people who just like to play around"

You know, I have never read so many negative, and inaccurate, comments about the hobby in one thread in all the years that I've been on this forum. What's going on here?

If you guys really feel this way, why are you here?

"We must endorse the real professionals who keep their hard earned special knowledge for making a decent living"

Yes - and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
Old 12th December 2007, 11:18 PM   #37
terry j is offline terry j  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by salas

I am with you. DIY speakers are for people who just like to play around .

But I have a problem. I do not recall the Brand and model name. Can you please help me with that and suggest me a trusted dealer? I just have one photo that I post here. Thanks.
Salas, sorry mate but I think you'll have trouble finding a dealer for them, as they are not commercial, but (gasp) DIY!! ha ha, good one.

Bet they'd kick the magico butt though.

edit thought I'd better make it clear that I am well aware that Salas doesn't really think they're commercial.
Old 12th December 2007, 11:28 PM   #38
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Oh my God! Are they really DIY? How can they be? DIY speakers are for the fireplace! They cant possibly be! No its an illusion...How did I crave after DIY? Me? me?....Now you ring a bell...Oh that Shin something English guy that I was suggesting some curves to his thread...That concussion really messed me up! I must commit suicide in the Altar of the High-End mystic knowledge dealer God...Bye all! Sorry for the post I thought I was posting to Stereophile! Sorry! Oh that concussion....
Old 12th December 2007, 11:41 PM   #39
Saltuk is offline Saltuk  Turkey
diyAudio Member

Great one Salas !
Old 12th December 2007, 11:50 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ackcheng
Back to the speaker:

Here is some information about the woofer

http://www.lcy.com.hk/diyhp/jsp/sf_p...7041127110.jpg

Hide this!Advertise here!